[comp.os.vms] process counting package

"James_A._Gray.OsbuSouth"@XEROX.COM (07/20/87)

Reference the INSTALL manual, pages INS-13 to INS-16.

If you install an image, you will then be able to use the INSTALL
utility to determine the number of times that the image has been
accessed since it was installed.  In addition, if you install it with
the /SHARED qualifier, then you will be able to determine the current
use count as well as the highest use count.  Very helpful info when
trying to decide which images should be installed and which should be
installed /SHARED.

I hope that this helps.

	Jim

mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) (07/20/87)

>Does there exist within VMS the capability to count ther number of times a
>compiler is invoked for instance? I am trying to ascertain which is the most
>frequently used of our 4 statistics packages on our 750.

I beleive that INSTALL will tell you how many times an (installed)
image was accessed.

Use 'LIST/FULL device:filename' in command mode, or 'device:filename
/LIST/FULL' if not in command mode.  Along with other information about
image privileges, you'll get a line called 'Image Entry Count' (or
something like that).  That's the number of times the image was fired
up.

| Mark H. Granoff                       Member of the Technical Staff |
| USMAIL: The MITRE Corporation   | ARPAnet: mhg @ mitre-bedford.ARPA |
|         Burlington Rd. M/S B015 |-----------------------------------|
|         Bedford, MA 01730       | A T & T: (617) 271 - 7030         |
+--------------------------- Disclaimer ------------------------------+
|The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect |
|                      those of my employer.                          |
|  Unix commands are based on the principle of intuitive complexity.  |

payne@watdcsu.UUCP (07/22/87)

>Does there exist within VMS the capability to count ther number of times a
>compiler is invoked for instance? I am trying to ascertain which is the most
>frequently used of our 4 statistics packages on our 750.

Perhaps a better way would be to use standard VMS accounting. It can account
for each image invoked. Just do SET ACCOUNTING/ENABLE=IMAGE. Then you can
use standard ACCOUNTING commands to examine/analyze the data. The command to
turn it off is (naturally) SET ACCOUNTING/DISABLE=IMAGE.

BEWARE: This produces LOTS of accounting records. Don't leave it enabled for
a long period of time, particularly if you are short of disk space.

Doug

MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET (07/22/87)

> Date:         Fri, 17 Jul 87 15:32 CST
> From:         FSIMMONS%UMNDUL.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
> Subject:      process counting package
>
> Does there exist within VMS the capability to count ther number of times a
> compiler is invoked for instance? I am trying to ascertain which is the most
> frequently used of our 4 statistics packages on our 750.

Yes, there is a way to count the number of invocations of an executable
image.  There are two parts to this operation: data collection and report.

Data collection is done by instructing VMS to log each image activation to
the system accounting file (often SYS$MANAGER:ACCOUNTNG.DAT).  If you wish
to log only particular images, install them as known images, including the
ACCOUNTING qualifier.  For example, to dynamically begin logging
SYS$SYSTEM:FORTRAN.EXE, enable CMKRNL privilege and type:
  $ INSTALL :== $INSTALL/COMMAND_MODE
  $ INSTALL CREATE/ACCOUNTING FORTRAN
(If FORTRAN is already installed, you can REPLACE/ACCOUNTING FORTRAN.)  To
log an image routinely, put the command in SYSTARTUP.COM.  See the Install
Utility Reference Manual for more information.

You can also log all images instead of selected ones.  On most VMS systems,
this incurs significant overhead in the areas of system performance and
disk space.  We purchased our systems with the intent that they support
both our user workload and image logging and other monitoring operations.
To dynamically begin logging all images, enable OPER privilege and type:
  $ SET ACCOUNTING/ENABLE=IMAGE
To log all images routinely, put the command in SYSTARTUP.COM.  See the DCL
Dictionary for more information.

To report information previously logged in an accounting file, you use the
Accounting Utility.  For example, to count the number of times the FORTRAN
compiler was invoked while logging was enabled for the current accounting
file, enable READALL privilege and type:
  $ ACCOUNTING/SUMMARY=IMAGE/IMAGE=FORTRAN
See the Accounting Utility Reference Manual for more information.

Ed <MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET>

CGORMAN@DREW.BITNET (Chris Gorman, 201-377-3000 [x 205]) (07/23/87)

To count the number of times a program has been invoked,
the simplest thing to do is INSTALL it:

Install/comm
INSTALL > add statpack
INSTALL > exit

Then, using the LIST/full (or list/all, I forget which)
command in install (sometime later), you can see the
image activation count for each program.

        - Chris Gorman
          Systems Management
          Drew University
          Madison, NJ           cgorman@drew.bitnet

MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET (07/24/87)

Several people have suggested installing a program to count the number of
invocations.  This is fine if you don't mind the count being lost each time
your system reboots.

Ed

art@MITRE.ARPA (Art McClinton) (07/29/87)

Sorry if this one has already been answered.  I just returned from vacation
and turned back on my subscription to info-vax.

I have previously installed programs to get simple usage counts.  Once a program
is installed, the INSTALL>SHOW command can be used to get the number of times
that the program has been accessed since the last system boot.  This will then
accomplish the determination of the which program is accessed most frequently.
Image accounting will give more information but will use alot of disk space.

*
*---Art
*
*Arthur T. McClinton Jr.     ARPA: ART@MITRE.ARPA
*Mitre Corporation MS-Z305   Phone: 703-883-6356
*1820 Dolley Madison Blvd    Internal Mitre: ART@MWVMS or M10319@MWVM
*McLean, Va. 22102           DECUS DCS: MCCLINTON
*

  =-=- This note is in response to yours which follows -=-=