[comp.os.vms] reading rt-11 tapes on vms-sumamry

FSIMMONS@UMNDUL.BITNET (07/28/87)

 This is a summary of the responses I received on this subject.

      1) Some responders alluded to a DECUS newsletter article in
         the July 1986 RT portion. Pages 3-4 were sited.

      2) Some respondents simply said $ mount/foreign msa0: xxx
           $ copy msa0:*.* temp.dat

      3) Some respondents said that it could not be done. Period.

      4) I received a call from a DEC hardware/software type in
         Minneapolis and he is very familiar with RT-11. He
         says that it will not. Period.  The rub is that it
         is not an ANSI-labelled tape and therefore the right
         parts of the header are not present. Since the DECUS
         newsletter was written by a respected gent (knowledgable)
         , I referred him to this article and he said he would
         look into it and get back to me.  He also mentioned
         something to the effect that the EXCHANGE
         utility would only honor RT-11 block addressable
         volumes, which tapes are not.

    The upshot of all this, as seems to be the case with most
hardware/software issues, is that there is a split-camp and
that some are wrong and some are right.  Meanwhile , I sit here
having tried all suggestions and barring typos in articles etc.
am still unable to read these tapes.  I guess the phenomena from
DEC's point of view is that there can exist an RT-11 installation
without a tape-drive unit(sour grapes).

Frank Simmons
UMD Computing Services
Univ of Minn,Duluth
10 University Drive
Duluth MN 55812
ATT    : (218) 726-8849
BITNET : FSIMMONS@UMNDUL
CSNET  : FSIMMONS@UB.D.UMN.EDU
SYSTEM : VAX/VMS 4.5  JNET 3.0

albrecht@muscat.UUCP (Mark Albrecht) (07/30/87)

In article <8707281302.AA02941@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> FSIMMONS@UMNDUL.BITNET writes:

> This is a summary of the responses I received on this subject.
>
>  .... deleted responses ....
>

>Frank Simmons
>UMD Computing Services
>Univ of Minn,Duluth
>10 University Drive
>Duluth MN 55812
>ATT    : (218) 726-8849
>BITNET : FSIMMONS@UMNDUL
>CSNET  : FSIMMONS@UB.D.UMN.EDU
>SYSTEM : VAX/VMS 4.5  JNET 3.0

This is my first posting to the net (mail having not worked, as usual), so
bear with me...

As I recall there are different issues involved in reading/writing rt-11
readable 1/2" magtapes on a VMS system.  To go from rt-11 to VMS I have
used INIT and COPY on rt-11 to create a pseudo-ansi tape.  To read this
on vms, one must use the command : $ MOUNT/NOHDR3/BLOCKS=512 etc.
There may still be problems, particularly if the rt-11 filename is
less than six characters (vms not liking embedded spaces in filenames), and
I think you will have to run CONVERT on any resulting ascii files to
place in stream-cr format from whatever the file ends up after the
copy from the tape ($ COPY used to copy the files from the tape, of
course!).

To create an rt-11 readable tape, your best bet is to use the EXCHANGE
facility to create an rt-11 virtual disk con the vax (used as a
container file) and transfer that file on the tape.  Like this:

$ INIT MTA0: LABLE
$ MOUNT/NOHDR3/BLOCKS=512 MTA0: LABLE
$ EXCHANGE
EXCHANGE>INIT/CREATE DISK.DSK /ALLOC:300
EXCHANGE>MOUNT/VIRTU DSK: DISK
EXCHANGE>COPY WHAT.TXT DSK:
EXCHANGE>COPY DSK:WHAT.TXT WHAT.RT /TRANS=BLOCK
EXCHANGE>^Z
$ COPY WHAT.RT MTA0:

rt-11 should be able to read the tape!

Sorry if there are syntax errors, this is from memory.  Good luck!

Standard disclaimer: This is me talking, not Digital Equipment.