[comp.os.vms] moria

billw@wolf.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (05/10/87)

What is the -latest- version of MORIA? The one on ghostwheel.cmu.edu?
--
Bill Wisner
..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw

mende@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU (Bob Mende) (05/11/87)

Hi Bill,
  The most current version on Moria is 4.9.   But you will not find it
outside of U of Oklahoma.  For the rest of us there is version 4.8.  I
have just received it and if you want to FTP the .exe it can be gotten
from aim.rutgers.edu [dua0:[usr.mende.new_moria]moria.exe].
  Ver. 4.9 is suppose to be just some bug fixes from 4.8, but it there
is also a VAX C version.  It is the VAX Pascal version that has been
run thru a Pascal->C converter and some frobs here and there.
  Ver. 5.0 is still in dream land.  I dont know if we will ever see it
or what... but from the propaganda it looks good.

					Bob
--
	Bob Mende   	mende@rutgers.edu	{...}!rutgers!mende

oliver@bsu-cs.UUCP (T. Tim Hsu) (05/13/87)

I was wondering how to get a hold of moria, hack, ultrarogue, or empire
for the unix (or vms) that will run on BSD4.3 or VMS4.5

My school (BSU) is new to the nationwide network, so there is not much in
terms of games (except for "basic" games), and I read about a few of the
interesting ones, which is why I would like a copy of them so I could put them
up for access (source code would be great, but I would take anything I could
get my hands on).

If you know where to get some, send me a message about it.

--
T. Tim Hsu

UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!oliver

KISMET@UMASS.BITNET (07/23/87)

We recently put the game MORIA up on our system from DECUS. It's a great
game, but we've been having problems with dial-up people getting dis-
connected, which means their character is stuck inside with no means of
getting it back. The Help mentions a Wizard function which allows you
to retrieve characters lost like this, but we've been unable to find
out the Wizard password. Does anyone have any info on this?
                              Thanks,
                                  Ted Corning
                                  Computing Services
                                  UMass/Boston
                                  Consultant/Programmer

BILL@ENGVAX.SCG.HAC.COM ("Bill D. Consoli") (07/24/87)

Ted Corning writes:

>We recently put the game MORIA up on our system from DECUS. It's a great
>game, but we've been having problems with dial-up people getting dis-
>connected, which means their character is stuck inside with no means of
>getting it back. The Help mentions a Wizard function which allows you
>to retrieve characters lost like this, but we've been unable to find
>out the Wizard password. Does anyone have any info on this?

I only have my own experience to go on but I _DO_ remember the "first" wizard
password we discovered.  We have since recompiled with a new password (more
than once) because old ones kept leaking out and users were no longer playing
the game but instead merely creating superstar characters.  This is why I am
a bit squeamish about sending the first password over the net.  Each system
should have a designated _Moria Wizard_ who is the keeper of the password and
available for emergencies as you have described.  If you want to be that person
you can send mail to me directly and I'll tell you all you should need (I hope)
to get you going.

Bill D. Consoli          "...Nothing ever grows in this rotting old hole
Hughes Aircraft Company      And everything is stunted and lost
bill@engvax.scg.hac.com      And nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls
bill%engvax@oberon.usc.edu   And nothing's ever worth the cost..."

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%   Standard Disclaimer Applies   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

BILL@ENGVAX.SCG.HAC.COM ("Bill D. Consoli") (07/31/87)

Hi

A while ago I mentioned that I knew the wizard's password (at least for one
given version) for moria, and wouldn't mind letting folks who only had the
executable know what it was, since if you had the source you should be
able to figure out what it is.

Then the floodgates opened.

It seems many people desire the source, and I would probably have little
trouble sending it (it's a bunch of files), except that right now the moria
source seems to have been "misplaced" around here.

If I had it I would send it but I don't so I can't.

But I do recall something about moria being on a decus tape (like maybe
Spring 86) but I can't be sure since I wasn't really tuned in to decus at that
time.

Sorry if I led anyone to believe that I had the moria source right here in
my hand, but I actually thought I did.  I know it's here somewhere...

$Bill

Bill D. Consoli           "...Life is so strange when you don't know
Hughes Aircraft Company       How can you tell where you're going to
bill@engvax.scg.hac.com       You can't be sure of any situation
bill%engvax@oberon.usc.edu    Something can change and then you won't know..."