[comp.os.vms] reading past a tapemark

CVMMEB@VTVM2.BITNET ("Mary E. Bainter") (07/28/87)

Hello,
I have a problem which is probably (hopefully) very simple to solve -- but I
am stuck!  I have a tape with two files on it, separated by a tapemark.  I have
been unable to read the files with BACKUP or COPY (there is really only data --
codes and translations -- in the files, i.e.
 code_text_code...text_tapemark_code_text_code...text_tapemark_tapemark
so I guess without fileheaders or names of files??
does that make sense?)

ANYway, I found a function called IO$_SKIPFILE which is supposed to read past
n tapemarks.  BUT, I can't figure out exactly how to use this function.

HELP?   Is that the right way to go?  If so, can someone tell me how to use
function?

 I have been able to read up to the first tapemark using MUMPS (our
application language) -- if anyone out there knows MUMPS, maybe you have
ideas?

Thanks (in advance) --
Mary

Mary Bainter
System Manager (acting), Computer Services Unit
Virginia/Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine
BITNET:     CVMMEB@VTVM2
ARPA:       CVMMEB%VTVM2@WISCVM.EDU
UUCP:       "...!psuvax!vtvm2.bitnet!cvmmeb"
Ma Bell:    (703) 961-7907
Real Mail:  Phase II, Southgate Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24061

MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET.UUCP (08/01/87)

> Date:         Tue, 28 Jul 87 15:12:54 EDT
> From:         "Mary E. Bainter" <CVMMEB%VTVM2.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
> Subject:      Reading past a tapemark
>
> I have a tape with two files on it, separated by a tapemark.  There is really
> only data in the files, i.e. without fileheaders or names of files

COPY can read this type of file onto disk, provided that you inform it what the
tape recordsize and blocksize are.  You might do the following commands.
$ ALLOCATE drive TAPE
$ MOUNT/FOREIGN/RECORDSIZE=r/BLOCKSIZE=b TAPE
$ COPY TAPE: FILE.1
$ COPY TAPE: FILE.2

If the record- and blocksize is different for the second file, you can dismount
the tape and remount it with different values, then use SET MAGTAPE to skip
to the second file before using COPY.  Look at SET MAGTAPE for more information.

> I have been able to read up to the first tapemark using MUMPS (our application
> language)

You can read the second file only if MUMPS does not rewind when you access the
tape drive.  If it doesn't rewind, you should be able to read the first file,
then when you hit end-of-file close the file, then open the second file and
read it.
---- Ed McGuire, Systems Coordinator, Grinnell College, MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET

ANK@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (ANIL KHULLAR) (08/04/87)

> Date:         Tue, 28 Jul 87 15:12:54 EDT
> From:         "Mary E. Bainter" <CVMMEB%VTVM2.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
> Subject:      Reading past a tapemark
>
> I have a tape with two files on it, separated by a tapemark.  There is really
> only data in the files, i.e. without fileheaders or names of files

YOU HAVE NOT INDICATED HOW THE TAPE WAS INIT-ed. IF YOU KNOW THE RECORD AND
BLOCK SIZE, IT SHOULD BE EASY TO mount the tape FOR and then copy the
contents of the file to disk. If you do not know the block size set it
to the 10240 (I hope I'm right on this count...)

I would do a READ check on the tape too.

                                                Anil Khullar
                                        {Ph.D. Prog in Psychology
                                         C.U.N.Y. Grad. Center.
                                        33 W 42 St. Box 295,
                                         New York NY 10036      }

BITNET:ank@cunyvms1
INTERNET:ank%cunyvms1.BITNET@wiscvm.edu
ON THE SEVENTH DAY GOD RESTED AND WATCHED CELTICS PLAY AT THE GARDEN
[DISCLAIMER: They say after Boston there is heaven, I agree; I say after
LispM there is nirvana, they don't. This and other such opinion are
held dearly by me, my employers and the institution I represent do not
necessarily hold that view. I am sole culprit of such fantasies. No living
being is responsible, however unsolicited support is welcome]