[comp.os.vms] How to get GnuEmacs for VMS?

THOWARD@graphics.COMputer-science.manchester.ac.UK (08/04/87)

Apologies if this is an oft-asked question...
How do I go about obtaining gnuemacs for VMS V4.5?

                            - Toby Howard -
Computer Graphics Unit, Department of Computer Science
Manchester University, England, M13 9PL. Phone: 061 273 7121 x5429/5406
Janet: thoward@uk.ac.man.cs.cgu
ARPA:  thoward%cgu.cs.man.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk

mende@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende) (08/04/87)

In article <8708041936.AA00786@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> THOWARD@graphics.COMputer-science.manchester.ac.UK writes:
> Apologies if this is an oft-asked question...
> How do I go about obtaining gnuemacs for VMS V4.5?

following is the distribution node of the texinfo tree from GNUemacs.
------begin included infomation-----

Distribution
************

GNU Emacs is "free"; this means that everyone is free to use it and
free to redistribute it on a free basis.  GNU Emacs is not in the public
domain; it is copyrighted and there are restrictions on its distribution,
but these restrictions are designed to permit everything that a good
cooperating citizen would want to do.  What is not allowed is to try to
prevent others from further sharing any version of GNU Emacs that they
might get from you.  The precise conditions are found in the GNU Emacs
General Public License that comes with Emacs and also appears following
this section.

The easiest way to get a copy of GNU Emacs is from someone else who has it.
You need not ask for permission to do so, or tell any one else; just copy
it.

If you have access to the Internet, you can get the latest distribution
version of GNU Emacs from host `prep.ai.mit.edu' using anonymous
login.  See the file `/u2/emacs/GETTING.GNU.SOFTWARE' on that host
to find out about your options for copying and which files to use.

You may also receive GNU Emacs when you buy a computer.  Computer
manufacturers are free to distribute copies on the same terms that apply to
everyone else.  These terms require them to give you the full sources,
including whatever changes they may have made, and to permit you to
redistribute the GNU Emacs received from them under the usual terms of the
General Public License.  In other words, the program must be free for you
when you get it, not just free for the manufacturer.

If you cannot get a copy in any of those ways, you can order one from the
Free Software Foundation.  Though Emacs itself is free, our distribution
service is not.  An order form is included at the end of manuals printed by
the Foundation.  It is also included in the file `etc/DISTRIB' in the
Emacs distribution.  For further information, write to

     Free Software Foundation
     1000 Mass Ave
     Cambridge, MA 02138
     USA

The income from distribution fees goes to support the foundation's
purpose: the development of more free software to distribute just like
GNU Emacs.

If you find GNU Emacs useful, please send a donation to the Free
Software Foundation.  This will help support development of the rest of the
GNU system, and other useful software beyond that.  Your donation is tax
deductible.

-----end included information-----

   I beleive that the FSF charges $100 ~ $150 for a tape.

				Bob
--
     mende@rutgers.edu    {...}!rutgers!mende    mende@pisces.bitnet