[comp.os.vms] Decnet links

tencati@JPL-VLSI.ARPA (07/24/87)

Can someone please tell me under what circumstances the NETWORK PARTNER
ABORTED LOGICAL LINK error will occur when you are establishing a connection
to yourself?

My machine uses the Software Tools mail system which defines DECnet to service
mail delivery.  I have network mail that works fine to other nodes, but
some mail for local users which is still delivered using the decnet objects
is bombing out continuously with the above error message.

Anybody got any ideas?

Ron Tencati
System Mgr, JPL-VLSI.ARPA
            JPLLSI:: (SPAN)

payne@watdcsu.UUCP (07/27/87)

In article <870723162258.00n@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA> tencati@JPL-VLSI.ARPA writes:
>Can someone please tell me under what circumstances the NETWORK PARTNER
>ABORTED LOGICAL LINK error will occur when you are establishing a connection
>to yourself?
>
>My machine uses the Software Tools mail system which defines DECnet to service
>mail delivery.  I have network mail that works fine to other nodes, but
>some mail for local users which is still delivered using the decnet objects
>is bombing out continuously with the above error message.

I haven't seen this particular software package, but some of my new users
sometimes do strange things in their LOGIN.COM files which could cause such
problems. They don't check F$MODE() for NETWORK, and try such things as SET
TERMINAL/INQUIRE when in NETWORK mode, which doesn't work too well. When I
was new to VMS, I think I even did something like that in SYLOGIN.COM!

Doug

F1142S30%unika2@germany.CSNET (Juergen Renz) (07/30/87)

In article <870723162258.00n@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA> Ron Tencati  writes:

>Can someone please tell me under what circumstances the NETWORK PARTNER
>ABORTED LOGICAL LINK error will occur when you are establishing a connection
>to yourself?
>
>My machine uses the Software Tools mail system which defines DECnet to service
>mail delivery.  I have network mail that works fine to other nodes, but
>some mail for local users which is still delivered using the decnet objects
>is bombing out continuously with the above error message.

I assume it's the protection of the DECNET files in the SYS$SYSTEM directory.

NETSERVER.COM needs WORLD:READ
NETSERVER.EXE and all other DECNET .COM and .EXE files need WORLD:EXECUTE
(especially MAIL.COM and MAIL.EXE in your case)
The system directory SYS$SYSDEVICE:[000000]SYS0.DIR must have WORLD:EXECUTE too

If this doesn't help:

    Look at the NETSERVER.LOG file created by the network job, whether there
    is an error message telling what's wrong.
    This file might be in the directory SYS$SYSDEVICE:[DECNET]

If there is no NETSERVER.LOG anywhere look at the account file:

    Accounting must be enabled before testing DECNET with:
      SET ACCOUNTING /ENABLE=(LOGIN_FAILURE,NETWORK)

    Examine the accounting file with:
      ACCOUNTING /FULL /SINCE=<time short before the test>

I hope that helps.

Juergen Renz                                        Universitaet Karlsruhe
Falkengarten 7                                      Institut fuer Informatik IV
D-7530 Pforzheim
West-Germany

"James_A._Gray.OsbuSouth"@XEROX.COM (08/03/87)

Question:

Can someone please tell me under what circumstances the NETWORK PARTNER
ABORTED LOGICAL LINK error will occur when you are establishing a
connection to yourself?

Answer:

The usual cause for this error is that your login command file does
something that causes an error; most any kind of error will do.
Checking NETSERVER.LOG may help.  Trying a SET HOST node may also be of
help.

	Jim

ANK@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (08/05/87)

>>Can someone please tell me under what circumstances the NETWORK PARTNER
>>ABORTED LOGICAL LINK error will occur when you are establishing a
>>connection to yourself?

>The usual cause for this error is that your login command file does
>something that causes an error; most any kind of error will do.
>Checking NETSERVER.LOG may help.  Trying a SET HOST node may also be of
>help.

Some sites do not generate a NETSERVER.LOG if the VAX is the only
DEC machine on the DECNET. We only get a NETSERVER.LOG when our
other machine, A symbolics was on the DECNET. When the link is
down a SET HOST to onself such as SET HOST 1 does not give a NETSERVER.LOG

I guess standalone sites without a DECNET licence also do not create
NETSERVER.LOG's too....
                                                Anil Khullar
                                        {Ph.D. Prog in Psychology
                                         C.U.N.Y. Grad. Center.
                                        33 W 42 St. Box 295,
                                         New York NY 10036      }

BITNET:ank@cunyvms1
INTERNET:ank%cunyvms1.BITNET@wiscvm.edu
ON THE SEVENTH DAY GOD RESTED AND WATCHED CELTICS PLAY AT THE GARDEN
[DISCLAIMER: They say after Boston there is heaven, I agree; I say after
LispM there is nirvana, they don't. This and other such opinion are
held dearly by me, my employers and the institution I represent do not
necessarily hold that view. I am sole culprit of such fantasies. No living
being is responsible, however unsolicited support is welcome]