[comp.os.vms] SCUBA, disk fragmentation, and dialups

rod@CHEETA.ISI.EDU (Rod Van Meter) (08/04/87)

Hi,

    A couple of questions and an offer, any one of which may interest
you, so don't tune out if the first one doesn't.

    Any SCUBA divers out there coming to DECUS in Anaheim want to get
together for some diving, maybe a boat trip the weekend prior?

    I'm considering the possibility of writing something that will
allow a user who has a PC (or possibly an Amiga) to have multiple
processes logged in over the same dialup line. It will also hopefully
provide some error checking to handle phone line noise. Does such a
beast already exist? Any advice?

    An offer (yes, I can contribute useful items, too): I took someone's
old little program that checks disk fragmentation and redid it, adding
some stuff. It handles disk volume sets and tells you all about the
number and size of fragments on your disk. It does nothing about
correcting them; I'm still not sureI trust such things. It's completely
user-mode, needing only read access to the BITMAP.SYS file. It's a
little big to post, but should email fine. Write me if you want a copy.

	--Rod
	rod@ISI.Edu

JMS@ARIZMIS.BITNET (Ross Was Here) (08/05/87)

Edu%"rod@Cheeta.ISI.Edu"  writes:

>    I'm considering the possibility of writing something that will
>allow a user who has a PC (or possibly an Amiga) to have multiple
>processes logged in over the same dialup line. It will also hopefully
>provide some error checking to handle phone line noise. Does such a
>beast already exist? Any advice?

You should look at the X.PC protocol specifications.  It provides
what you're looking for, and more (for example, simultaneous
terminal sessions and file transfers).  X.PC was an important idea
about four years ago, which has been largely ignored because of
the marketing efforts of Microcom, which is promoting their
MNP protocol as a competitor to X.PC (developed by Tymnet and available
from them), when they address separate issues.

X.PC implementations are available for the IBM-PC; I don't know
what others were finally done (although Tymnet probably did a DEC-10
version as well).

jms

| Joel M Snyder                 |            BITNET: jms@arizmis.BITNET
| Univ of Arizona Dep't of MIS  |          Internet: jms@mrsvax.mis.arizona.edu
| Tucson, Arizona 85721         |   Pseudo-PhoneNET: (602) 621-2748
(I have gotten into trouble too many times to put any faith in disclaimers)
"There's nothing here that an overdose of Seconal won't cure."