dp@JASPER.PALLADIAN.COM (Jeffrey Del Papa) (08/05/87)

    Date:     Sat, 1 Aug 87 23:18 EDT
    From:     <ADLER1%BRANDEIS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

    I seem to be using up my account much faster than I can really explain.
    One thing that would help would be if, after running a program on the
    VAX, I could issue a command to find out how much the program cost me
    to run (in play money). I know that I can type LOG to get a complete
    accounting of my session but is there a way I can find out what I want
    to know without logging out? I have no special priveleges.

    ADLER1@BRANDEIS.BITNET

show proc/acc

<dp>

rbt@cernvax.UUCP (rbt) (08/06/87)

In article <8708041427.AA24553@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ADLER1@BRANDEIS.BITNET writes:
>I seem to be using up my account much faster than I can really explain.
>One thing that would help would be if, after running a program on the
>VAX, I could issue a command to find out how much the program cost me
>to run (in play money). I know that I can type LOG to get a complete
>accounting of my session but is there a way I can find out what I want
>to know without logging out? I have no special priveleges.

A simple way to see what a single  process is doing  is to  create a new one
which will do a single, complete job. When  the process dies, it is possible
to see all the informations about the CPU time, the I/O, the connection time
etc... The way to do it is:

$ SPAWN /<various switches> VMS_command

I would suggest to read the options available  for  this command, which are
pretty useful.

If your program  makes some  I/O to the terminal, it is possible to prepare
an Input file with all  the commands,  and call the SPAWN command with that
particular file  as input stream; in the  same way,  the Output can be made
on another file, to save the results.
Roberto Divia'    |     Law of Cybernetics Entymology:
=============     |         There is always one more bug.