[comp.os.vms] EVE and LSE

nagy%warner.hepnet@LBL.ARPA (08/12/87)

> From: "Vladimir Ivanovic, x3-7786" <IVANOVIC%VAXR@lll-icdc.arpa>
>DEC's LSE (Language Sensitive Editor) is nice, but it sports an EDT-like
>interface.  Additionally,

I like the EDT keypad, its sort of embedded in ROM in my head and fingers.
That is one of the reasons why I originally got LSE into here.

>I don't understand why DEC is forcing LSE users to struggle with an unfamiliar
>user interface when they've done such a good job (my opinion) with Eve and both
>editors are built with TPU.  In short, I'm faced with either remembering two
>different editors which nevertheless have similiarities, or abandoning one. For
>me the choice is clear, LSE will go.  Eve's LEARN mode by itself is worth it.

See, you have EVE embedded in your ROM.  Remember, editors are like
religion, everyone has their favorite and you won't convince them
otherwise.

>Is anyone who has married LSE and Eve willing to share the fruits of their
>labor?  I expect the work needed to be reasonably extensive (several weekends
>worth), and some functionality may be missing because hooks into LSE are
>not always available.

All is OK, LSE V2.0 supports either the EDT or EVE keypads.  The best
of both worlds OR how Digital sells us our cake and lets us eat it too!

= Frank J. Nagy   "VAX Guru"
= Fermilab Research Division EED/Controls
= HEPNET: WARNER::NAGY (43198::NAGY) or FNAL::NAGY (43009::NAGY)
= BitNet: NAGY@FNAL
= USnail: Fermilab POB 500 MS/220 Batavia, IL 60510