[comp.os.vms] Unix Make on VMS?

rmohiudd@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Razi Mohiuddin) (08/07/87)

Does anybody have a facility similar to the Unix Make command on DEC VMS?
Source code in C, DCL or other languages would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Razi
----------------
internet: rmohiudd@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	  {hplabs|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|sri-unix}!rmohiudd%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
voice:	  415/424-0500
USnail:	  Teknowledge, Inc., 1850 Embarcadero Rd.,
	  POB 10119, Palo Alto, CA 94303

campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) (08/09/87)

In article <15442@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>,
    rmohiudd@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Razi Mohiuddin) writes:

<>Does anybody have a facility similar to the Unix Make command on DEC VMS?
<>Source code in C, DCL or other languages would be appreciated.

I hope this isn't too commercial for the list, but...

My company, The Boston Software Works, sells and supports a product called
BSW-Make which is a MAKE utility for VMS.  It has the following qualities:

    +	Syntax compatible with UNIX make
    +	Supports default rules and prerequisite inference
    +	Has macros with expansion time string substitution
    +	Imports logical names as macro definitions

There is also an MS-DOS/PC-DOS version available.  For pricing or technical
information, call the telephone number listed below in my signature.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@BSW.COM                  120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

shprentz@bdmrrr.bdm.com (Joel Shprentz) (08/10/87)

(Razi Mohiuddin) writes:
> Does anybody have a facility similar to the Unix Make command on DEC VMS?
> Source code in C, DCL or other languages would be appreciated.

About three years ago I wrote a version of Make for the Software Tools
package.  Like the other tools, Make is written in Ratfor.

The tools have fallen into disuse here since we discovered Unix, but the
code is still around somewhere.  I would be happy to locate it and send
it to you if you want.
--
Joel Shprentz                   Phone:  (703) 848-7305
BDM Corporation                 Uucp:  seismo!bdmrrr!shprentz

mhg@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) (08/10/87)

>Does anybody have a facility similar to the Unix Make command on DEC VMS?
>Source code in C, DCL or other languages would be appreciated.

DEC has two layered products for code and module management:

     MMS (Module Management System)

	  Provides a make-like facility.

     CMS (Code Management System)

	  Lets you 'check-in' and 'check-out' source code.

Hope this helps.

| Mark H. Granoff                       Member of the Technical Staff |
| USMAIL: The MITRE Corporation   | ARPAnet: mhg @ mitre-bedford.ARPA |
|         Burlington Rd. M/S B015 |-----------------------------------|
|         Bedford, MA 01730       | A T & T: (617) 271 - 7030         |
+--------------------------- Disclaimer ------------------------------+
|The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect |
|                      those of my employer.                          |
|  Unix commands are based on the principle of intuitive complexity.  |

glennl@vice.TEK.COM (Glenn C. Le Vernois) (08/10/87)

In article <15442@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, rmohiudd@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Razi Mohiuddin) writes:

> Does anybody have a facility similar to the Unix Make command on DEC VMS?
> Source code in C, DCL or other languages would be appreciated.

DEC sells a layers produce called MMS (Module Management System)
which claims to be UNIX Makefile compatible.  We've been running it
for a couple of years.  I'm not sure how much it's used.

_   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _
 -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_-
_-   								   -_
 -_   Glenn C. Le Vernois       E-Mail: tektronix!vice!glennl     _-
_-    IC-CAD Development	 	glennl@vice.TEK.COM        -_
 -_   Tektronix, Inc.		MaBell: (503) 627-4084            _-
_-    Mail Stop  59-316                                            -_
 -_   P.O. Box  500             "No Matter Where you Go, There    _-
_-    Beaverton, OR  97077        You Are!" (B.Bonzai, 1990)       -_
 -_   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _-
_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (08/11/87)

In article <975@maynard.BSW.COM>, campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) writes:
> In article <15442@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>,
>     rmohiudd@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Razi Mohiuddin) writes:
>
> <>Does anybody have a facility similar to the Unix Make command on DEC VMS?
> I hope this isn't too commercial for the list, but...
>
> My company, The Boston Software Works, sells and supports a product called

Sounds commercial to me.  There are two version of a unix like make in the PD.
One is a V7 clone (I don't know if runs on VMS, anybody else know?), the
other runs under VMS and MS-DOS (I use it).  Both of these are available from
comp.sources.unix.  If you haven't access to an archive site.  Or can't
FTP it, I can provide a direct uucp link to my system (in Mission Viejo, CA),
and you can snarf the VMS,MS-DOS version!

--
Name:		Dave Arnold
USmail:		26561 Fresno, Mission Viejo, Ca, 92691 USA

agw@eastend.columbia.edu (Art Werschulz) (08/11/87)

Hi all.

Since there's been a flurry of questions about this, let me point out
that Marty Sasaki (uucp: harvard!sasaki, arpanet:sasaki@harvard.harvard.edu,
bitnet: sasaki@harvunxh) has written a make for VMS.  He has sent me
the following information:

> In any case, there are two make programs on harvard.harvard.edu
> available via anonymous FTP. The files are in ~ftp/vms/make and
> ~ftp/vms/makevms. One version is UNIX syntax compatible and the other
> uses a different syntax. I usually use the one in makevms (UNIX-style)
> but occasionally the other one will do something that the other won't.

I haven't had a chance to install it myself, but you might want to
take a look at it.

	Art Werschulz

 	ARPAnet:  agw@columbia.edu
	USEnet:   ... seismo!columbia!agw
	BITnet:   agw%columbia.edu@wiscvm
	CCNET:    agw@columbia
	ATTnet:   Columbia University (212) 280-3610 280-2736
		  Fordham University  (212) 841-5323 841-5396

pml@casetek.casetek.UUCP (Pat Lashley) (08/11/87)

In article <1805@vice.TEK.COM> glennl@vice.TEK.COM (Glenn C. Le Vernois) writes:
>In article <15442@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, rmohiudd@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Razi Mohiuddin) writes:
>>
>> Does anybody have a facility similar to the Unix Make command on DEC VMS?
>> Source code in C, DCL or other languages would be appreciated.
>>

>DEC sells a layers produce called MMS (Module Management System)
>which claims to be UNIX Makefile compatible.  We've been running it
>for a couple of years.  I'm not sure how much it's used.

I also am interested in a un*x-like make for VMS.  We have MMS, and it is
deficient in several areas.  One of the bigest defeciencies is the inabliity
to create a makefile which contains just rules. (i.e. You want to make
.FRB files from .SRC files by running a locally written FROBNOSTICATE
program.  You do NOT want to list each potential .FRB file in the Makefile.)
Another problem is the inability to say `make *.OBJ' to ensure the currency
of all object files in a given directory.  (Yes, I know that you could
make a dummy dependancy which would reference them all; but it would have
to be updated every time you add or remove a module from that directory.)
There are also some inconvieniences in dependancy handling, the spawned
sub-processes are given only half of the original resource limits; and
the whole thing is as slow as growth.  DEC should be ashamed to charge
for this turkey.

What I want is a reasonably efficient make facility which provides all of
the capabilities, and ease of use, of the BSD make which we received (FREE)
with our Sun workstations.
--
Internet:	casetek!patl@sun.com		PM Lashley
uucp:		...sun!casetek!patl		CASE Technology, Inc.
>> Anyone can have the facts; having an opinion is an art. <<

jwd@rama.UUCP (08/12/87)

As of 2/20/86 $495 would buy a VMS Make facility and $90 would buy an MS-DOS
version from:
		The Boston Software Works, Inc.
		120 Fulton Street, 2nd Floor
		Boston, MA 02109
		(617)367-6846

We did not end up purchasing either of these products so I can not critique
them.

--
Jeffrey W. Downs                    UUCP: {seismo,...}!rochester!tropix!rama!jwd
Software Engineer                   UUCP: {seismo,...}!rochester!ritcv!jxd3627