[comp.os.vms] jnet/Janet

DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET (Denis W. Haskin/Manager/Tech Services) (08/21/87)

From:   KUKLA::DHASKIN      "Denis W. Haskin/Manager/Tech Services" 20-AUG-1987
10:37
To:     Orig_To! info-vax@sri-kl.arpa, DHASKIN
Subj:   jNet/JANET

>Date:         Wed, 19 Aug 87 23:08 EDT
>From:         The Red Mage Chris Cebelenski <CEBELENS_CHR@CTSTATEU>
>Subject:      Undocumented VMSMail features

> VMSMail invokes various sub-images for interfacing with other "Stuff."
> For example, I use a VMS host with JANET software to interface
> with the BITNET.  JANET has a MailShr image for BITNET%, and uses
> that to access the network.  As far as I know, the only way to
> access these images is via VMSMail.  And I don't have an answer on
> how to write your own.

Careful - I think Chris is confusing JANET (the United Kingdom's Joint Academic
NETwork) with jNet, which is RSCS emulation software for VMS from Joiner
Associates (and is probably the most common bitnet interface for VMS sites).

When VMS mail gets an address of the form protocol%"address" it searches for an
image of the name SYS$LIBRARY:<protocol>_MAILSHR.EXE.  This image in turn works
with VMS mail to get the it correctly addressed and such [I frankly don't know
*too* much about it]. The foreign protocol is undocumented in the base VMS doc
set, but some people out there are familiar with it and have written other mail
handlers (Chris Gatzka, for example).  You may want to join the bitnet list
JNET-L@BITNIC for more information.

% Denis W. Haskin                             Manager, Technical Services %
% DHASKIN@CLARKU.BITNET   Office of Information Systems     (617)793-7193 %
% Clark University               950 Main Street      Worcester MA  01610 %
%                      "I did!  I did tee a puddy tat!"                   %