[comp.os.vms] Version of "more" for VMS

harry@rainy.atmos.washington.edu (Harry Edmon) (08/19/87)

Does anyone have a version of Unix "more" running under VMS?
--
Harry Edmon                   UUCP:   harry@rainy.atmos.washington.edu or
(206) 543-0547                        uw-beaver!geops!rainy!harry

still@usceast.UUCP (Bert Still) (08/19/87)

In article <119@rainy.atmos.washington.edu> harry@rainy.atmos.washington.edu (Harry Edmon) writes:
>Does anyone have a version of Unix "more" running under VMS?

	Try "TYPE/PAGE", it will probably do exactly what you want.

                                                      Bert  8-}

                My mailbox is asbestos lined... is yours ?
    ("shar" is actually an ancient term meaning "some assembly required.")
                                     #
UUCP: ...seismo!ncr-sd!ncrcae        #  US SNAIL:  Bert Still
               !usceast!still        #             Dept of Mathematics
                                     #             University of South Carolina
                                     #             Columbia, SC 29208
BITNET: T410119@UNIVSCVM             #
                                     #

campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) (08/21/87)

In article <2421@usceast.UUCP> still@usceast.UUCP (Bert Still) writes:
<>In article <119@rainy.atmos.washington.edu> harry@rainy.atmos.washington.edu (Harry Edmon) writes:
<>>Does anyone have a version of Unix "more" running under VMS?
<>
<>	Try "TYPE/PAGE", it will probably do exactly what you want.

Well, no, not exactly.  TYPE/PAGE:

    -	Only goes a screen at a time, can't go a line at a time
    -	Only goes forwards, can't go backwards
    -	Doesn't have any search commands
    -	Has no mechanism for marking a place and returning to it
    -	Has no shell (oops, I mean DCL) escape
    -	Doesn't tell you how far along in the file you are
    -	Can't be used as a filter (OK, this is DCL's fault, not TYPE's,
	but the fact remains I can't pipe my directory listing through it)

etc. etc. etc.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@BSW.COM                  120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

DAVIDLI@SIMVAX.BITNET (David Meile) (08/21/87)

>Larry Campbell <maynard!campbell@husc6.harvard.EDU>
>>(Harry Edmon) writes:
>>Does anyone have a version of Unix "more" running under VMS?

>    -    Only goes a screen at a time, can't go a line at a time
>    -    Only goes forwards, can't go backwards
>    -    Doesn't have any search commands
>    -    Has no mechanism for marking a place and returning to it
>    -    Has no shell (oops, I mean DCL) escape
>    -    Doesn't tell you how far along in the file you are
>    -    Can't be used as a filter (OK, this is DCL's fault, not TYPE's,
>    but the fact remains I can't pipe my directory listing through it)

Larry Campbell was responding to the suggestion that TYPE/PAGE might be
what Harry Edmon wants.  He then goes on to list features that TYPE/PAGE
does not have.  I agree with Larry about TYPE/PAGE, but I think that there
*is* a utility that comes close.

It is called LIST, and was made available on the Fall '86 DECUS tapes by
Mark Vevle of the University of Alabama at Birmingham (who I assume is also
the author).

LIST is a TPU section file, with the following features:

        - multiple windows (so you can compare files)
        - "search" capabilities
        - can spawn a subprocess (or do one DCL command ...)
        - uses many of the editing features associated with TPU editors
        - can "cut" text and put it into another file
        - won't change the LISTed file
        - can scroll horizontally (for those lines longer than 132 columns)

All in all, a very useful program.  It is not quite "more", but is more
useful in a VMS environment that I have found "more" to be.  It requires
TPU - which means you have to have VMS 4.2 or later.  I have it set up for
system-wide use as a foreign command:
        LIST :== EDIT/TPU/SECTION=LISTSECINI.TPU$SECTION

Hope you find this information of use.  Like I said, it is on the Fall '86
DECUS VAX SIG tape [VAX86C.UAB.LIST...]

-- Dave Meile, systems manager                  davidli@simvax.bitnet

iwm@icdoc.UUCP (08/28/87)

In article <119@rainy.atmos.washington.edu> harry@rainy.atmos.washington.edu (Harry Edmon) writes:
>Does anyone have a version of Unix "more" running under VMS?

We are using a port of less as posted to comp.sources.unix. There were three
problems in porting:

1.  lseek
 VMS C runtime for lseek will only work properly on streamlf files.
 Solution - set the variable ispipe to be true unconditionally. People who
    want to poke about inside RMS can check to see if a file is streamlf. The
    effect of this is to restrict the range you can move about in the file.
2.  regexp
    VMS doesnt have a regexp library.
    Solution - either use the version posted a while back or the GNU version or
    disable regular expression searches using the #defines in the source.
3.  termcap
    VMS doesn't have termcap
     You can use the termcap functions in the library with DECSHELL v2.0
     these seem from the manual to be a functional equivalent, down to file
     format of Unix termcap. Use the GNU termcap that comes with GNU Emacs.
     I have cobbled together a termcap that uses the SMG functions, its not
    a complete emulation, but works for less: I dont like the idea of
    having to maintain two databases TERMTABLE and TERMCAP.

--
Ian W Moor
  UUCP: seismo!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!iwm

 Department of Computing   Whereat a great and far-off voice was heard, saying,
 Imperial College.         Poop-poop-poopy, and it was even so; and the days
 180 Queensgate            of Poopy Panda were long in the land.
 London SW7 Uk.