[comp.os.vms] curses and termcap for VMS

MCGUFFEY@MUVMS1.BITNET (08/24/87)

I'm trying to port several pieces of software written for unix (e.g. rn and
less) and am having trouble with some of the termcap (or curses) routines.
I've only looked at less so far, but it seems the SMG routines are
significantly different from their unix counterparts.  Before I dive in head
first into the muck and mire to port the screen routines, does anyone
have any words of wisdom. (or better yet, actual C code)

Everything else seems to compile OK.  (With the possible exception of some
#include <sys/something.h>
lines.  I guess this is a tribute to the "work" DEC put into making VAX C
"compatible" with the unix environment.

thanks,

--mike

robert@arizona.edu (Robert J. Drabek) (08/27/87)

In article <8708250209.AA10963@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, MCGUFFEY@MUVMS1.BITNET writes:

> I'm trying to port several pieces of software written for unix (e.g. rn and
> less) and am having trouble with some of the termcap (or curses) routines.
> I've only looked at less so far, but it seems the SMG routines are
> significantly different from their unix counterparts.  Before I dive in head
> Everything else seems to compile OK.  (With the possible exception of some
> #include <sys/something.h>

VMS curses will only barely help you in your efforts.  A few of the screen
routines will run, but the keyboard stuff is broken.  Reading the help
screens on the C library has many comments about "only provided for
Unix completeness" (or something like that) which I now interpret as
meaning it doesn't work.

I would suggest that you write your own routines and ignore VMS curses.
If you are only running DEC VT[1-2]00's it's pretty simple.  The
keyboard routines are another story.  It can be done fairly simply
using something like ???$virtual_keyboard() (I am not on VMS right
now and can't verify the function name) or you can go through the
VMS QIO and other system calls.  If no one else volunteers I have
some routines I use in a couple of editors, etc.

--
Robert J. Drabek
Department of Computer Science

jv@mhres.UUCP (08/28/87)

In article <8708250209.AA10963@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MCGUFFEY@MUVMS1.BITNET writes:

>I'm trying to port several pieces of software written for unix (e.g. rn and
>less) and am having trouble with some of the termcap (or curses) routines.

I have a UNIX compatible termcap library for VMS. I someone is interested,
I can send (or post) it.

--
Johan Vromans                           | jv@mh.nl via European backbone
Multihouse N.V., Gouda, the Netherlands | uucp: ..{seismo!}mcvax!mh.nl!jv

sasaki@endor.UUCP (08/31/87)

GNU Emacs does screen updating and uses TERMCAP. This might be better
than starting from scratch.

  Marty Sasaki                          uucp:   harvard!sasaki
  Ziff Davis Technical Information Co.  arpa:   sasaki@harvard.harvard.edu
  80 Blanchard Road                     bitnet: sasaki@harvunxh
  Burlington, MA 01803                  phone:  617-273-5500