[comp.os.vms] VMS Foreign terminal support TVIXXX

CONNAUGHTON@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (08/27/87)

Subject:  INFO.VAX
To:       CONNAUGHTON@RED.RUTGERS.EDU

    I have some users who would like to use some Televideo terminals
on our system.  Can anyone send me a terminal table which will define
this terminal to VMS ?  The terminal is called a Televideo Model 925.

Thanks,
Paul Connaughton
CONNAGT@YALEMED.BITNET

-------

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) (08/27/87)

 >     I have some users who would like to use some Televideo terminals
 > on our system.  Can anyone send me a terminal table which will define
 > this terminal to VMS ?  The terminal is called a Televideo Model 925.

Here's the  table that one of my users (CEL@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU, or CITHEX::CEL)
swears by:

NAME = "TVI920"
        BOOLEAN
        ansi_crt = 0,           auto_margin = 0,
        backspace = 1,          dec_crt = 0,
        eight_bit = 0,          scope = 1,
        no_scroll = 0,          physical_tabs = 0,
        printer_port = 1,       lowercase = 1

        NUMERIC
        columns = 80,           rows = 24

        STRING
        begin_autoprint_mode = "$_@",   end_autoprint_mode = "$A",
        begin_bold       = "$)",  end_bold       = "$_(",
        begin_normal_rendition = "$_(",
        cursor_down = "^J",
        cursor_left = "^H",
        cursor_right = "^L",
        cursor_up = "^K",
!
        erase_to_end_display = "$Y",
        erase_to_end_line    = "$T",
        erase_whole_display  = "^Z",
        home = "^^",
        init_string = "$_'",
!
        key_down_arrow  = "^J",
        key_left_arrow  = "^H",
        key_right_arrow = "^L",
        key_up_arrow    = "^K",
!
        print_screen = "$P",
        set_cursor_abs = "$=(%1+31)(%2+31)",
        END

NAME = "TVI925"

        BOOLEAN
        ansi_crt = 0,           auto_margin = 0,
        backspace = 1,          dec_crt = 0,
        eight_bit = 0,          scope = 1,
        no_scroll = 0,          physical_tabs = 0,
        printer_port = 1,       lowercase = 1

        NUMERIC
        columns = 80,           rows = 24

        STRING
        begin_autoprint_mode = "$_@",   end_autoprint_mode = "$A",
        begin_bold       = "$)",  end_bold       = "$_(",
        begin_normal_rendition = "$_(",
        cursor_down = "^V",
        cursor_left = "^H",
        cursor_right = "^L",
        cursor_up = "^K",
!
        erase_to_end_display = "$Y",
        erase_to_end_line    = "$T",
        erase_whole_display  = "^Z",
        home = "^^",
        init_string = "$_'",
!
        key_down_arrow  = "^J",
        key_left_arrow  = "^H",
        key_right_arrow = "^L",
        key_up_arrow    = "^K",
!
        print_screen = "$P",
        set_cursor_abs = "$=(%1+31)(%2+31)",
        END

levy@ttrdc.UUCP (08/31/87)

In article <870827111203.00n@CitHex.Caltech.Edu>, carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) writes:
> Here's the  table that one of my users (CEL@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU, or CITHEX::CEL)
> swears by...

> [termtable]

Quick question.  After this (or other termtable) file is created, how does one
USE it with VMS screen oriented programs?  On-line documentation doesn't seem
to say what to do, and I'm not sure where to look in the yard of fat orange
notebooks on the shelf.

Another question.  What utilities is this useful with.  Does EDT know how
to use termtables?  MAIL?  TYPE/PAGE?  DCL command line editing?  User programs
that use LIB$SET_CURSOR(), LIB$CLEAR_SCREEN(), and the like?  VMS C Curses?
MONITOR?  Etc., etc.?

Please send mail if you can.  Thanks....
--
|------------Dan Levy------------|  Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
|--------Skokie, Illinois--------|

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU.UUCP (08/31/87)

 > Quick question.  After this (or other termtable) file is created, how does one
 > USE it with VMS screen oriented programs?  On-line documentation doesn't seem
 > to say what to do, and I'm not sure where to look in the yard of fat orange
 > notebooks on the shelf.
The information is somewhere in the SMG manual.  What you need to do is:
	1) Compile the termtable definition you've created.  To do this:
		$ RUN SYS$SYSTEM:SMGBLDTRM
	2) Make the termtable definition available for use.  If you're just
	   an unprivileged user, or want to test a new definition without
	   putting other users at risk:
		$ DEFINE/JOB TERM$TABLOC directoryspec
	   where "directoryspec" is the directory in which you've just
	   built TERMTABLE.EXE.  If you're a system manager and want to
	   make the new definitions the default for the system:
		$ RUN SYS$SYSTEM:SMGMAPTRM
	   and reboot the system.
 > Another question.  What utilities is this useful with.  Does EDT know how
 > to use termtables?  MAIL?  TYPE/PAGE?  DCL command line editing?  User programs
 > that use LIB$SET_CURSOR(), LIB$CLEAR_SCREEN(), and the like?  VMS C Curses?
 > MONITOR?  Etc., etc.?
I'm not sure what all utilities make use of this.  I know that MAIL does
(my first experience with all this was in an effort to get mail to clear
my screen quickly when I was using a 300-baud dial-up non-DEC terminal).
I think that TYPE/PAGE does too, but you'll just have to experiment.