[comp.os.vms] Finding files with multiple directory entries

ted@blia.BLI.COM (Ted Marshall) (09/04/87)

In article <8709010842.AA15247@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, EVERHART%ARISIA@rca.COM ("GLENN EVERHART, 609 486 6328") writes:
>                            ... A nifty utility for system managers would
> be something that would allow you to go thru a disk and at least
> IDENTIFY which files were aliases of each other...

You can get this information currently using ANALYSE/DISK. If you have
stand-alone backup installed on your system disk (in an alt root) and do
ANALYSE/DISK on it, you may notice an interesting phenomenon (as I did).
A few files will be reported as having incorrect directory back-links. If
you have ANALYSE (actually VERIFY) repair these, you will get these errors on
a different set of files. By doing multiple repairs, you will alternate
between the two sets of files. These files are the files that are shared
between your main SYS$SYSTEM directory and your SAB root.

This does not actually tell you specifically which directory entries are
connected to the same file. However, you do get a list of directory
entries that are sharing files on the disk and it's a small step to then
match up FIDs.

--
Ted Marshall       ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted <or> mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
Britton Lee, Inc., 14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030     (408)378-7000