[comp.os.vms] reading RSTS/E disk structure from VMS

MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET (09/03/87)

> Date:         Tue,  1-Sep-1987 15:57:26.85 CST
> From:         RICHARD KERSHENBAUM <richard@ukanvax>
> Subject:      Reading a RSTS disk on a VMS system
>
> I've been asked to extract some files from an RL02 pack created on a RSTS
> system.  EXCHANGE doesn't seem to recognize the format.  Does anyone out
> there have a utility for performing this sort of conversion?
>
> The person who made the request had talked fruitlessly with DEC about the
> problem.

I hope someone has written something in the public domain.  Digital's EXCHANGE
does not, in fact, know the format.  I don't have any utility to do it; I am
responding primarily to copy your message to `info-pdp@sei.cmu.edu'.

The current RSTS/E disk structure is known as RDS1 (not to be confused with
RSX's and VMS's odious one--oops, ODS1) :-}  No other operating system uses
RDS.

Get ahold of Mike Mayfield's _RSTS/E Monitor Internals_ if you end up writing a
utility yourself.  It describes the layout of RDS1 (and also RDS0, the structure
used by pre-V8.0 RSTS/E systems).  But since you're probably converting only one
disk, it would probably be faster and simpler to find a friendly RSTS/E site
with RL02's!
---- Ed McGuire, Systems Coordinator, Grinnell College, MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET

P.S.  If the disk you're reading is RDS0, I think I have a utility written on
      RSTS/E to read it . . . the RSTS/E I/O would need to be changed to QIOW
      calls, but it might be more or less straightforward.

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (09/07/87)

In article <8709040013.AA23424@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET writes:
>I hope someone has written something in the public domain.  Digital's EXCHANGE
>does not, in fact, know the format.  I don't have any utility to do it; I am
>responding primarily to copy your message to `info-pdp@sei.cmu.edu'.

Just a bit of a correction - that address should be "info-pdp11@sei.cmu.edu".

--Pat.
  (a/k/a info-pdp11-request@sei.cmu.edu)