[comp.os.vms] SET BROADCAST

HLC5962@TAMVENUS.BITNET (Lee Cox) (09/05/87)

While looking at the help file for SET BROADCAST, I noticed a set of
parameters [NO]USER1-[NO]USER16.  After experimenting, I discovered that
setting NOUSER1 stopped anyone from using the SEND command on me (no more
interrupted editing sessions) while setting NOUSER2 stopped the same from
remote nodes.  Unfortunately, no one here, even after looking through
several tons of orange binders, can figure out what the rest of the USERxx
parameters do.  Anybody know?

 Lee Cox
                                                       TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
     US Mail: P.O. Box 1915                            TT     TT     TT
              College Station, TX 77841-1915                  TT
     AT&TNet: (409)260-0775                              A    TT  M   M
      BITNet: N074AN@TAMVM1                             A A   TT  MM MM
      TEXNet: THOR::HLC5962                            AAAAA  TT  M M M
     ARPANet: N074AN%TAMVM1@WISCVM.WISC.EDU            A   A  TT  M   M
 SPAN/HEPNet: UTADNX::UTSPAN::THOR::HLC5962            A   A TTTT M   M

KHF@JHUIGF.BITNET (09/05/87)

Re: Lee Cox's 5-sep-87 question on the USERn parameters for SET BROADCAST.

It is my understanding that those parameters are all available for use by any
non-DEC software.  In this case, JNET makes use of USER1 and USER2 by simply
checking their state before passing along the messages to a given process. You
can use any or all of them for your own local applications, as long as they
don't interfere with other local/third-party software you are using (or plan to
use).  Any well-documented package SHOULD tell you if it is using (or rather,
can use) those parameters.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but this is
the way I understand the situation.

Ken Fasman

        U.S. Mail: Bard Laboratories of Neurophysiology
                   Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
                   725 N. Wolfe St.
                   Baltimore MD  21205
        Telephone: (301) 955-8330
        BITNET:    KHF@JHUIGF

"My opinions, especially the wrong ones, are strictly my own."

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU.UUCP (09/07/87)

 > While looking at the help file for SET BROADCAST, I noticed a set of
 > parameters [NO]USER1-[NO]USER16.  After experimenting, I discovered that
 > setting NOUSER1 stopped anyone from using the SEND command on me (no more
 > interrupted editing sessions) while setting NOUSER2 stopped the same from
 > remote nodes.  Unfortunately, no one here, even after looking through
 > several tons of orange binders, can figure out what the rest of the USERxx
 > parameters do.  Anybody know?

Look on pages SYS-31 and SYS-32 of the SYSTEM SERVICES manual.  Here it
defines the classes of broadcast messages.  In particular, classes USER1
through USER16 are defined as: These class names can be used by user-written
images.  Apparently JNET from Joiner Associates uses classes USER1 and USER2
as you've described.  The other 14 classes may be unused on your system.

vaughan@canisius.UUCP (Tom Vaughan) (09/08/87)

In article <8709051837.AA00230@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, KHF@JHUIGF.BITNET writes:
> Re: Lee Cox's 5-sep-87 question on the USERn parameters for SET BROADCAST.
>
> It is my understanding that those parameters are all available for use by any
> non-DEC software.  In this case, JNET makes use of USER1 and USER2 by simply
 By the way, the set broadcast for Jnet is documented in the Jnet manuals. Also
set broadcast=nouser3 will eliminate those wonderful file progress
messages you receive when sending mail to other nodes.  It stops all bitnet
status messages.  So beware, it also prevents your querys from being delivered
back to ya.