[comp.os.vms] WANTED Inexpensive ethernet thinwire repeater.

SKINNER@DREA-XX.ARPA (Bruce) (09/09/87)

      I have a local area VAXCluster consisting of a '750 and a
uVAXII.  I am intending to ad a VAXstation 2000 to this LAVC.
The '750 and uVAXII are both on a DELNI which is hooked to our
standard baseband (thickwire) ethernet.

      The VAXstation has a thinwire ethernet port.  DEC wants to
sell me a baseband to thinwire repeater (DEMPR) for $4320 (Cdn)
just to hook this little rascal up.

      The DEMPR supports up to 8 thinwire segments and each
segment can theoretically accomodate 29 stations for a total of
232 stations.  This item is OVERKILL!!!

      I only want to connect ONE little VAXstation 2000.  I have
VERY LIMITED FUNDS.  The cost of the DEMPR is adding 30% to the
total cost of my workstation.

      Who manufactures an inexpensive baseband to thinwire
repeater?  Even names and addresses (phone numbers) of ethernet
hardware manufacturers would give me someplace to start.

      DEC's motto seems to be "We have the solutions NOW!"
Somebody else must have a less expensive solution.

Regards ++
Bruce S.
                                                       .
Net Mail:     SKINNER@DREA-XX.ARPA                     |\
                                               ___|    | \
Telephone:    (902) 426-3100 Ext. 168         /O  |    |  \
                                         .___/    |____|___\
                                          \            |
Slow mail:    Bruce S. Skinner             \___________|
              Defence Research Establishment Atlantic (DREA)
              P.O. Box 1012
              Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
              Canada
              B2Y 3Z7

-------

hobson@aramis.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) (09/09/87)

In article   writes:

> From: SKINNER@DREA-XX.ARPA (Bruce)
> Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
>

>       I have a local area VAXCluster consisting of a '750 and a
> uVAXII.  I am intending to ad a VAXstation 2000 to this LAVC.
> The '750 and uVAXII are both on a DELNI which is hooked to our
> standard baseband (thickwire) ethernet.
>
>       The VAXstation has a thinwire ethernet port.  DEC wants to
> sell me a baseband to thinwire repeater (DEMPR) for $4320 (Cdn)
> just to hook this little rascal up.
>       Who manufactures an inexpensive baseband to thinwire
> repeater?  Even names and addresses (phone numbers) of ethernet
> hardware manufacturers would give me someplace to start.

Cabletron Systems Inc.
P.O. Box 6257
East Rochester, N.H. 033867-6257
(603)332-9400

MT-500-01 Transceiver with user selectable "heartbeat" (In other
		words, can be use as Ethernet Version 1, 2, or IEEE
		802.3 transceiver)

MT-500-03 Same as above with intrusive BNC-Series tap for use with
		Thin Ethernet Coaxial Cable (In other words, this
		device with MT-500-01 or local repeator (LR-2000) and
		transeiver cable should help you)

LR-2000 Local Repeator (DEC DELNI-equivalent)

MR-9000C Multiport Repeator (DEC DEMPR-equilvalent)

	We use a combination of these products around the campus. The
major advantage of these devices is the little LEDs on each box to
indicate activity of the network and connection.
	Thick_net has 500 meter maximum limit, while thin_net has a
200 meters maximum limit. For every meter of thin_net cable attach to
your network, count it as 3 meter of thick_net [Total (max. 500) =
(thin_net*3) + thick_net]. The only way to get around this of maximum
is to use repeators.
	Good luck.
--
- Kevin Hobson
- ARPA: hobson@rutgers.edu

wyatt@cfa.harvard.EDU (Bill Wyatt) (09/10/87)

in article <1467@aramis.rutgers.edu>, hobson@aramis.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) says:

>>       I have a local area VAXCluster consisting of a '750 and a
>> uVAXII.  I am intending to ad a VAXstation 2000 to this LAVC.
>> The '750 and uVAXII are both on a DELNI which is hooked to our
>> standard baseband (thickwire) ethernet.
>>
>>       The VAXstation has a thinwire ethernet port.  DEC wants to
>> sell me a baseband to thinwire repeater (DEMPR) for $4320 (Cdn)
>> just to hook this little rascal up.
>>       Who manufactures an inexpensive baseband to thinwire
>> repeater?  Even names and addresses (phone numbers) of ethernet
>> hardware manufacturers would give me someplace to start.
>

> Cabletron Systems Inc.
> P.O. Box 6257
> East Rochester, N.H. 033867-6257
> (603)332-9400
>
> MT-500-01 Transceiver with user selectable "heartbeat" (In other
> 		words, can be use as Ethernet Version 1, 2, or IEEE
> 		802.3 transceiver)
>
> MT-500-03 Same as above with intrusive BNC-Series tap for use with
> 		Thin Ethernet Coaxial Cable (In other words, this
> 		device with MT-500-01 or local repeator (LR-2000) and
> 		transeiver cable should help you)

These are `ST500-xx', not `MT'. The ST500-03 is the DESTA equivalent.
And, there's no `or' about it. You need the local repeater, an
ST500-01 or -02, and ST500-03 to do the above (see diagram below).
You'd have power and plug/receptacle mismatches otherwise.

> LR-2000 Local Repeator (DEC DELNI-equivalent)

No, this is the DEREP equivalent, at about 1.5k from Cabletron (I can't
remember the exact price, because we get a discount, and I don't remember
the list prices. The DELNI equivalent is the MT-800.

> MR-9000C Multiport Repeator (DEC DEMPR-equilvalent)
> [...]

We have one of these and are happy with it.

So, assuming the Ethernet topology restrictions aren't violated by the
new repeater:

  <===X===========================X=============>  (trunk Ethernet cable)
      |                           |
      | (xceiver cable)           |
      |                           |
  ---------                 -------------
  | DELNI |                 |  repeater |
  ---------                 -------------
    |   |                         |
    |   |                         |
   750  uVax            x---------X---------------T--------x (thinwire)
			      (ST500-03)      ----------
                                              | VS2000 |
                                              ----------

What we'd all like (and is rather hard, so I understand) is a
`reverse'-DESTA.  No one makes them, as far as I know.

--

Bill    UUCP:  {seismo|ihnp4}!harvard!cfa!wyatt
Wyatt   ARPA:  wyatt@cfa.harvard.edu

hobson@aramis.rutgers.edu.UUCP (09/11/87)

In article <667@cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU> wyatt@cfa.harvard.EDU (Bill Wyatt) writes:

> in article <1467@aramis.rutgers.edu>, hobson@aramis.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) says:
> >

> >>       I have a local area VAXCluster consisting of a '750 and a
> >> uVAXII.  I am intending to ad a VAXstation 2000 to this LAVC.
> >> The '750 and uVAXII are both on a DELNI which is hooked to our
> >> standard baseband (thickwire) ethernet.
> >>
> >>       Who manufactures an inexpensive baseband to thinwire
> >> repeater?  Even names and addresses (phone numbers) of ethernet
> >> hardware manufacturers would give me someplace to start.
> > MT-500-01 Transceiver with user selectable "heartbeat" (In other
> > 		words, can be use as Ethernet Version 1, 2, or IEEE
> > 		802.3 transceiver)
> >
> > MT-500-03 Same as above with intrusive BNC-Series tap for use with
> > 		Thin Ethernet Coaxial Cable (In other words, this
> > 		device with MT-500-01 or local repeator (LR-2000) and
> > 		transeiver cable should help you)
>
> These are `ST500-xx', not `MT'. The ST500-03 is the DESTA equivalent.
> And, there's no `or' about it. You need the local repeater, an
> ST500-01 or -02, and ST500-03 to do the above (see diagram below).
> You'd have power and plug/receptacle mismatches otherwise.

Yes, they are ST500, sorry. The 'or' I will explain below.

> > LR-2000 Local Repeator (DEC DELNI-equivalent)
>
> No, this is the DEREP equivalent, at about 1.5k from Cabletron (I can't
> remember the exact price, because we get a discount, and I don't remember
> the list prices. The DELNI equivalent is the MT-800.

I getting my terminology mixed up, again. Thanks for the correction.

> So, assuming the Ethernet topology restrictions aren't violated by the
> new repeater:
>
>   <===X===========================X=============>  (trunk Ethernet cable)
>       |                           |
>       | (xceiver cable)           |
>       |                           |
>   ---------                 -------------
>   | DELNI |                 |  repeater |
>   ---------                 -------------
>     |   |                         |
>     |   |                         |
>    750  uVax            x---------X---------------T--------x (thinwire)
> 			      (ST500-03)      ----------
>                                               | VS2000 |
>                                               ----------

Your topology works if you are going for the maximum specifications of
both thin and thick ethernet (500 meters thick and 200 meters thin)
If your network will never get any bigger

   <===X=======================================>  (trunk Ethernet cable)

   ---------------------------
   ---------------------------
     |   |  | | | | | |     |Female end of the DELNI
     |   |  Free male ends  |
    750  uVax               |

                  x---------X---------------T--------x (thinwire)
 		      (ST500-03)      ----------
                                      | VS2000 |
                                      ----------

OR (I think this would have answer the question.)

  (trunk Ethernet cable)
   <===X===========================C--------------------T----------> (thin_net)
       |                   Thick_to_BNC connector   ----------
       | (xceiver cable)                            | VS2000 |
       |                                            ----------
   ----------
   | DELNI  |
   ----------
     |   |
     |   |
    750  uVax

Both topologies assume you stay within thick and thin ethernet
specifications. Either:
	A) 500 meters maximum for thick
	B) 200 meters maximum for thin
	C) Combination of the two:
		Total_length (500 meters max.)= (thin * 3) + thick

We use a sun as a gateway between the thick to thin networks (Ex.
thick___SUN____DELNI___ST500-03___thin ).