[comp.os.vms] Disabling Command Line Recall

KELLY%FSU.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA (09/10/87)

Help!!!
Tim Kelly
Dept. of Computer Science
206 Love Bldg.
Tallahassee, Fl  32301
(904)/644-2296

Help Requested!!!
   I'm trying to find a way to disable the Command Line Recall mechanism
implemented by the VAX operating system. I'm trying to develop a spreadsheet
type input facility in which a user may use the cursor keys to position
himself on the screen. Currently under VAX/VMS, the UP and DOWN cursor
keys invoke the Command Line Recall procedures provided by the op-sys.
Can anyone out there offer a solution?????
                                            Tim Kelly
                                            Kelly%fsu.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa

MCMAHON@GRIN1.BITNET ("McMahon,Brian D") (09/11/87)

> Help!!!
> Tim Kelly

>    I'm trying to find a way to disable the Command Line Recall mechanism
> implemented by the VAX operating system.

Have you tried SET TERMINAL/NOLINE_EDITING?

                                                    Brian McMahon,
                                                    Grinnell College, IA.
                                                    <MCMAHON@GRIN1.BITNET>

MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET (09/12/87)

> Date:         Thu, 10 Sep 87 05:28:05 PDT
> From:         KELLY%FSU.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA
> Subject:      Disabling Command Line Recall
>
> I'm trying to find a way to disable the Command Line Recall mechanism
> implemented by the VAX operating system. I'm trying to develop a
> spreadsheet type input facility in which a user may use the cursor keys to
> position himself on the screen. Currently under VAX/VMS, the UP and DOWN
> cursor keys invoke the Command Line Recall procedures provided by the
> op-sys. Can anyone out there offer a solution?????

See page 8-3 of the I/O User's manual, volume 1.  The SET
TERMINAL/NOLINE_EDIT command disables most terminal driver editing
functions, but then you have to be certain to save the original
characteristics and restore them when you're done.  A better approach is to
perform your I/O with $QIO and use the TRM$M_TM_NORECALL modifier to
disable the recall mechanism, or other modifiers as necessary to disable
interfering features of the driver. Check out section 8.4.1, the Read
function.
---- Ed McGuire, Systems Coordinator, Grinnell College, MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET