[comp.os.vms] SPELL Program

LUSGR@LEHICDC1.BITNET (Steve Roseman) (09/15/87)

Is there a good Spelling Checker/Corrector program available?  DECUS or
Public Domain preferred.  It will be used mainly with SCRIBE input files.

Thanks,
Steve Roseman
Lehigh University
lusgr@lehicdc1

jeh@crash.CTS.COM (Jamie Hanrahan) (09/16/87)

In article <8709142126.AA03270@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> LUSGR@LEHICDC1.BITNET (Steve Roseman) writes:
>Is there a good Spelling Checker/Corrector program available?  DECUS or
>Public Domain preferred.  It will be used mainly with SCRIBE input files.

Get the Fall 84 DECUS VAX SIG Symposium tape (orderable from the DECUS
library ifyou can't get it from the distribution tree; contact your local
LUG for info on the distribution tree; to find a LUG, contact the DECUS
office) and look in the directory [vax84c.vassar.spell] .  We use this
spell check/corrector extensively.  It is fast, allows each user to maintain
a private dictionary, maintains a secondary dictionary of "words which users
say are correct but which haven't been approved yet", and has more goodies.
If you run it on a file with a .mss extension it will ignore imbedded Scribe
commands (.RNO => ignore runoff commands; .TEX => ignore TeX commands).
There are a few glitches in the dictionary; for instance, it thinks that
"supercede" is correct (Webster's Ninth agrees, but no one else I've checked
does), but on the whole we're very pleased with it.