[comp.os.vms] SHAR + PIPES, KRON

kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) (09/15/87)

$SHAR:

  Michael Bednarek's VMS_SHAR is a major contribution to the distribution of
software on the net. However, it doesn't solve the problem with tabs; many
mailers convert tabs to spaces. This causes checksum failures, and in the case
of our dearly beloved (;-) Fortran, causes the software to break.

  We have a solution. It is part of a new update to the PIPE package I sent out
a couple of weeks, which was subject to the above problem. Quite simply, to
prepare for packaging in SHAR format, you enter the command

   SUBSTITUTE *.*; "    " "<tab>"

where "    " is a real tab character. This replaces all real tabs with <tab>.
After the package is received and unSHARed, the receiver enters the command

   SUBSTITUTE *.*; "<tab>" "    "

where "    " is , again, a real tab character. This restores all the real tabs.

  Since I just posted PIPE recently, I'm hesitant to do so again so soon, even
with the significant updates I've added.  However, if I get enough requests, I
will do so; otherwise I'll just send it those those who ask for it.

$KRON:

>I recently decided that I needed help handling all those periodic batch jobs,
>and that the KRON package from Battelle on the VAX85C Decus tape was the thing
>to use. Unfortunately, it appears not to work. The problem appears to be in
>it's handling of the KRON_INPUT.DAT file.

  I posted the above message myself, and got no response. However, after
phoning Mark Oakley at Batelle directly, I have a solution. The DECUS
distribution from the VAX85C tape was missing the KRON_INPUT.DAT file, and
I assumed the documentation meant KRON_SCHED.DAT. It didn't. The essential
contents of KRON_INPUT.DAT are as follows:

    $run bat*sched:kron.exe
    $st=$status
    $if st .eq. %x20b4 then $exit 'st'	!operator abort
    $request "KRON process terminated unexpectedly - exit status ''st'"
    $exit 'st'

Also, I added the following two lines to the front of of START_KRON.COM

    $ def/group bat$sched sys$locroot:[kron]
    $ def/group kron_sched bat$sched:kron_sched.dat

KRON now appears to be working. I _still_ think it looks like the best of the
CRON-type programs for VMS.

/kenw
                                                                 A L B E R T A
Ken Wallewein                                                  R E S E A R C H
                                                                 C O U N C I L

u3369429@murdu.OZ (Michael Bednarek) (09/16/87)

In article <891*kenw@noah.arc.cdn> kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) writes:
> [some mailers mutilate the <tab> character]
>
>  We have a solution.
>   SUBSTITUTE *.*; "    " "<tab>"
>
>where "    " is a real tab character. This replaces all real tabs with <tab>.
>After the package is received and unSHARed, the receiver enters the command
>
>   SUBSTITUTE *.*; "<tab>" "    "
>
>where "    " is , again, a real tab character. This restores all the real tabs.

Hmm, but what if you transmit a text which contains a line like:
      "You may hit the <tab>-Key to advance to the next field." ???

I'd rather recommend DETABbing the file before transmission.
But then again, someone pointed out that a MAKE program requires <tab>s
in its input files. UUENCODE a text file?

Michael Bednarek
Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research (IAESR)
Melbourne University, Parkville 3052, AUSTRALIA, Phone : +61 3 344 5744
Domain: u3369429@{murdu.oz.au | ucsvc.dn.mu.oz.au}  or  mb@munnari.oz.au
"bang": ...UUNET.UU.NET!munnari!{murdu.oz | ucsvc.dn.mu.oz}!u3369429

"POST NO BILLS."