[comp.os.vms] $SETPRV and image privileges

MADISON@CICGJ.RPI.EDU.UUCP (09/18/87)

>From: umbc3!dave@umd5.umd.edu  (David A Freeman)
>
>Sorry if you've already heard about this.
>

>1: Turning off an installed image's privs with the sys$setprv does not work
>	(Try it from a non-privileged account)

 It's worked all right for my images.  For every image I write and install
 with privs (which usually includes SYSPRV), I include as the first thing:

    STS$VALUE = LIB$GETJPI (JPI$_PROCPRIV,,,PROCESS_PRIVILEGES);
    IF ^ STS$SUCCESS THEN STOP;
    STS$VALUE = SYS$SETPRV ('0'B, 'FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF'B4,,);
    STS$VALUE = SYS$SETPRV ('1'B, PROCESS_PRIVILEGES,,);

 This code has, for my images, acheived the desired effect of preventing
 the user from defining SYS$OUTPUT to some place he or she doesn't normally
 have access to and actually creating a file there.

 Matt Madison, Systems Programmer
 Center for Interactive Computer Graphics
 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
 Troy, New York