[comp.os.vms] DECServer 200 intercommunication

ray@dsiramd.nz (Ray Brownrigg) (09/10/87)

We wish to confirm some technical information about DECServer 200s,
also known as DSRVB-AB, namely:

1. On a single DECServer 200, can two terminals communicate with each
other, e.g. in practice can a PC use a printer?

2. On two DECServer 200s connected to the same ethernet, using LAT-11, can
a terminal on one of the DECS200s communicate with a terminal on the other?
If this is the case, how would the "source" terminal (say a PC) address the
"destination" terminal (say a printer) on the other DECS200, that is, what
command would be used?.

Local DEC sources have been unable to confirm either of these items.

Thanks
--
Ray Brownrigg		UUCP: {utai!calgary,uunet}!vuwcomp!dsiramd!ray
Applied Maths Div, DSIR		ACSnet:	ray@dsiramd.nz[@munnari]

tedcrane@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ted Crane) (09/22/87)

In article <175@dsiramd.nz> ray@dsiramd.nz (Ray Brownrigg) writes:
>1. On a single DECServer 200, can two terminals communicate with each
>other, e.g. in practice can a PC use a printer?
>2. On two DECServer 200s connected to the same ethernet, using LAT-11, can
>a terminal on one of the DECS200s communicate with a terminal on the other?

Yes, to both questions.  The DECserver 200 manual gives some pretty decent
examples of things you may want to do.  I set up a modem according to
their instructions and, a few minor details aside (like the fallback speed
not working 100%), it worked.

From your point of view, my modem is equivalent to your printer or terminal.
Once I had set up the modem port as a service, it was only necessary to
log in to the server on a nother terminal (in your case, from your PC),
and then "CONNECT MODEM".  My terminal would hten be talking to the modem,
and your PC would be talking to the printer.  Your PC would have to be able
to generate a BREAK signal to get back to the server prompt in order to
disconnect.

Try to get a copy of the DS200 User's Guide (I think that's the name).  It's
good reading, if you care to.