[comp.os.vms] Error INSVIRMEM

F31HEI@DHHDESY3.BITNET (09/18/87)

After defining many logicals (>30) in systartup.com and sylogin.com     00000100
I have the problem that the command                                     00000200
  SHOW LOGICAL                                                          00000300
won't work. It gives the error message:                                 00000400
  %LIB-F-INSVIRMEM, insufficient virtual memory                         00000500
I searched the system messages manual, but can't find this message      00000510
with the Facility LIB.                                                  00000520
                                                                        00000530
We are working on a uVAX II VAX-Station under VMS 4.5/WS V3.0 with      00000540
9 MByte Memory.                                                         00000600
In SYSGEN the VIRTUALPAGECNT Parameter is set to                        00000700
Current=50000,default=8192,minimum=512,maximum=300000 pages             00000800
Setting it to 300000 does not help.                                     00000900
System page file is 20000 block, swap file is 6000 blocks.              00001000
Also there are parameters PGFLQOUTA and WSQUOTA. Since I'm totally      00001100
new in system management on a VAX I have no idea which parameter        00001200
I have to change. Any help to this problem is welcome, please           00001300
send answers direct to                                                  00001400
Bitnet address:  F31HEI@DHHDESY3                                        00001500
or to INFO-VAX, if you can't reach me.                                  00001600
Thanks in advance, F.-H. Heinsius                                       00001700

leichter@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("Jerry Leichter") (09/18/87)

After defining many logicals (>30) in systartup.com and sylogin.com     00000100
I have the problem that the command                                     00000200
  SHOW LOGICAL                                                          00000300
won't work. It gives the error message:                                 00000400
  %LIB-F-INSVIRMEM, insufficient virtual memory                         00000500
I searched the system messages manual, but can't find this message      00000510
with the Facility LIB.                                                  00000520

Wow, card-image mail messages.  What won't the BITNET world come up with
next! :-)

INSVIRMEM is a pretty generic message, and can be signalled by almost any
facility that runs out of memory.  It always means just what it says.

30, 40, even 100 system logicals is not "many" - any VAXStation with UIS and
GKS probably has 100 just to define all the various fonts.  You have a
real problem somewhere.

Two things I'd check:  Whatever the system-wide VIRTUALPAGCNT (or whatever the
parameter name is) may be, two things can restrict how much virtual memory a
process can have:  The UAF value of PAGFILQUO for the account the process is
logged into; and the actual amount of space available in the page file.  It's
probably also possible to screw things up by mis-setting certain other para-
meters, like WSMAX, though it would take some doing.

My suggestion:  Check pagefile sizes (SHO MEM command) and PAGFILQUO values
(with SYSUAF).  If they look reasonable, go through your MODPARAMS.DAT file
to make sure nothing unexpected was slipped in there, then do an AUTOGEN.

If it still doesn't work, I suggest trying to find a local guru - it's then
likely to be too subtle to find over the net.
							-- Jerry
------

F31HEI@DHHDESY3.BITNET.UUCP (09/20/87)

After defining many logicals (>30) in systartup.com and sylogin.com
I have the problem that the command
  SHOW LOGICAL
won't work. It gives the error message:
  %LIB-F-INSVIRMEM, insufficient virtual memory
I searched the system messages manual, but can't find this message
with the Facility LIB.

We are working on a uVAX II VAX-Station under VMS 4.5/WS V3.0 with
9MByte Memory.
In SYSGEN the VIRTUALPAGECNT Parameter is set to
Current=50000,default=8192,minimum=512,maximum=300000 pages
Setting it to 300000 does not help.
System page file is 20000 block, swap file is 6000 blocks.
Also there are parameters PGFLQOUTA and WSQUOTA. Since I'm totally
new in system management on a VAX I have no idea which parameter
I have to change. Any help to this problem is welcome, please
send answers direct to

jeh@crash.CTS.COM (Jamie Hanrahan) (09/20/87)

In article <8709192235.AA10931@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> F31HEI@DHHDESY3.BITNET writes:
> ... SHOW LOGICAL gives the error message:
>  %LIB-F-INSVIRMEM, insufficient virtual memory
>In SYSGEN the VIRTUALPAGECNT Parameter is set to
>Current=50000,default=8192,minimum=512,maximum=300000 pages
>Setting it to 300000 does not help.
>System page file is 20000 blocks, swap file is 6000 blocks.
>Also there are parameters PGFLQUOTA and WSQUOTA.  Since I'm totally
>new in system management on a VAX I have no idea which parameter
>I have to change. Any help to this problem is welcome...

Jerry Leichter's comments on this issue are correct.  A couple of things
in your query prompted me to add a few things:

If you're that new to VMS system management, you may be unaware that
you can't change VIRTUALPAGECNT just by doing a SET command in SYSGEN.
At minimum you have to

	SYSGEN> SET VIRTUALPAGECNT new_value
	SYSGEN> WRITE CURRENT   ! writes the system image with the new value
				! to disk
...then shut down and reboot your system.

But I said "at minimum".  VIRTUALPAGECNT is one of the parameters you
should never change (at least not to increase it, certainly not to
increase it by a factor of 6) directly through SYSGEN.  Instead you
should edit the file SYS$SYSTEM:MODPARAMS.DAT, adding the line

ADD_VIRTUALPAGECNT=increment

to the end; then use the AUTOGEN command procedure to generate new
SYSGEN parameters:

$ @SYS$UPDATE:AUTOGEN SAVPARAMS REBOOT

The above command will reboot your system automatically with the
new parameters.  There are other options for the less confident;
check the AUTOGEN documentation.

The reason for using AUTOGEN is that increasing VIRTUALPAGECNT
increases the number of physical pages of memory required to map
the process headers for your balance set.  If you make the combination
of VIRTUALPAGECNT and BALSETCNT Too Big, you'll have an unbootable
system.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan
		jeh@pnet01.cts.com or pnet01!jeh@crash.cts.com
		...sdcsvax!crash!pnet01!jeh

rde@eagle.ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) (09/21/87)

Expires:

I believe that the quotas of the startup process are governed by the PQL_...
system parameters. Is one of these set to a too low value?

--
           Bob Eager      (Captain Nemo)
           rde@ukc.UUCP

bdcsccs@cae780.UUCP (09/22/87)

>After defining many logicals (>30) in systartup.com and sylogin.com     00000100
>I have the problem that the command                                     00000200
>  SHOW LOGICAL                                                          00000300
>won't work. It gives the error message:                                 00000400
>  %LIB-F-INSVIRMEM, insufficient virtual memory                         00000500
>I searched the system messages manual, but can't find this message      00000510
>with the Facility LIB.                                                  00000520

We had a similar problem to this a while ago. The solution was to raise
the (undocumented) sysgen parameter CTLPAGES. On our b+w VAXStations,
we keep CLTPAGES at 500; on a gpx ,it's at 900.

Hope this helps.

Charlie Way
CAE Systems Div. Tektronix
482 Bedford Street