[comp.os.vms] User data area of SYSUAF.DAT

OBERMAN@LLL-ICDC.ARPA ("Kevin Oberman, LLNL, 422-6955, L-156", 415) (09/21/87)

 Joel M Snyder  writes:

>This, of course, doesn't help you much.  A couple of alternative are
>available.  One possiblity is to store your own date, call it "last-time-
>I-read-this-file" in the authorization file.  My opinion: bad idea.
>Don't be mucking in the authorization file; some day, Digital will
>come around and cut your fingers off and won't even warn you.

I don't think so. DEC has documented the proper method for accessing and
using the User Data Area oft the SYSUAF. I must admit that I can't find
the documentation right now, but I used it to design some internal software
and it worked fine. There is a pointer to the User Data area in each UAF
record.

Once DEC documents anything, they are prone to keep it around unless they
absolutely have to kill it. And then they are usually very good at documenting
the change.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					arpa: oberman@lll-icdc.arpa
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Neither my employer nor myself can take resposibility for the
accuracy of this information. I believe it is correct, but if it's not I can
only say "Sorry". I'm a rotten typist and a worse speller, so forgive any silly
errors.

face@amethyst.UUCP (Chris Janton) (09/23/87)

DEC documented the user defined area in the VMS 2.x documentation.  In an
early release of VMS 3.x they specifically undocumented the feature.  The
wording was something like "we did document it but we never should have."

There is no user defined area in the UAF, in spite of what the file description
might lead you to believe.  DEC has $GETUAI and $SETUAI to fiddle with the
UAF.  If you don't use these system services you will probably run into
trouble later on in life.