[comp.os.vms] RIGHTSLIST database

mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) (09/17/87)

Greetings Netlandians!

I have just finished reading about ACLs and ACEs.  No problem.

Here's the background:  We run (what is supposed to be) a homogeneous
cluster with 2 VAXen.  With a little experimentation we found that
there were 2 RIGHTSLIST databases.  Naturally, we have placed one
RIGHTSLIST database in SYS$COMMON instead of SYS$SYSROOT.

Here's the question: Someone here thought they had seen that a logical
could be defined to point to the RIGHTSLIST database to make sure that
the correct one is used.  So, does anyone know where this is documented?
or what the name of the logical is? and along the same lines, is there
a logical for SYSUAF.DAT as well?

I've poured throught the manuals to no avail...

Thanks in advance.

| Mark H. Granoff                       Member of the Technical Staff |
| USMAIL: The MITRE Corporation   | ARPAnet: mhg @ mitre-bedford.ARPA |
|         Burlington Rd.          | UUCP   : linus!mbunix!mhg         |
|         M/S B015                |-----------------------------------|
|         Bedford, MA 01730       | A T & T: (617) 271 - 7030         |
+--------------------------- Disclaimer ------------------------------+
|The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect |
|                      those of my employer.                          |

WARNOCK@PRISM.CLEMSON.EDU (Todd Warnock) (09/19/87)

Mark H. Granoff writes:

>Here's the question: Someone here thought they had seen that a logical
>could be defined to point to the RIGHTSLIST database to make sure that
>the correct one is used.  So, does anyone know where this is documented?
>or what the name of the logical is? and along the same lines, is there
>a logical for SYSUAF.DAT as well?

I'm not sure where they are documented, but here are some I've found:

	SYSUAF		SYSUAF.DAT
	NETUAF		NETUAF.DAT
	RIGHTSLIST 	RIGHTSLIST.DAT
	VMSMAIL		VMSMAIL.DAT
	ACCOUNTNG	ACCOUNTNG.DAT

I'd be interested in knowing of any more.

Todd Warnock
VAX Systems
Clemson University
Clemson, South Carolina 29634-2803

ARPA:	Warnock@Prism.Clemson.EDU
BITnet:	Warnock@Clemson

JMS@MRSVAX.MIS.ARIZONA.EDU (Profitability is the sovereign of the enterprise, Drucker) (09/21/87)

Mark H. Granoff <MHG@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA> writes:

>Here's the question: Someone here thought they had seen that a logical
>could be defined to point to the RIGHTSLIST database to make sure that
>the correct one is used.  So, does anyone know where this is documented?
>or what the name of the logical is? and along the same lines, is there
>a logical for SYSUAF.DAT as well?

The logicals you're looking for are:

	sys$common:[sysexe]netuaf.dat NETUAF
	sys$common:[sysexe]sysuaf.dat SYSUAF
	sys$common:[sysexe]rightslist.dat RIGHTSLIST
	sys$common:[sysexe]vmsmail.dat VMSMAIL

Make sure that you assign them in executive mode, in the system
logical table:

$ assign/exec/system

is one way to do it.

Some other pop-pop-popular logical names folks like to twiddle
include:

	sys$sylogin		system wide login.com
	sys$announce		one side of "username:" in loginout
	sys$welcome		other side of "username:" in loginout
	hlp$library		best place to put local help

	mail$system_flags	tell MAIL how to deal with stuff

+-------------------------------+
| Joel M Snyder                 |            BITNET: jms@arizmis.BITNET
| Univ of Arizona Dep't of MIS  |          Internet: jms@mrsvax.mis.arizona.edu
| Tucson, Arizona 85721         |   Pseudo-PhoneNET: (602) 621-2748
+-------------------------------+              ICBM: 32 13 N / 110 58 W
(I have gotten into trouble too many times to put any faith in disclaimers)
"There's nothing here that an overdose of Seconal won't cure."

saganich%frodo.DECnet@MGHCCC.HARVARD.EDU ("FRODO::SAGANICH") (09/21/87)

Mark Granoff of mitre writes,

>I have just finished reading about ACLs and ACEs.  No problem.
>
>Here's the background:  We run (what is supposed to be) a homogeneous
>cluster with 2 VAXen.  With a little experimentation we found that
>there were 2 RIGHTSLIST databases.  Naturally, we have placed one
>RIGHTSLIST database in SYS$COMMON instead of SYS$SYSROOT.
>
>Here's the question: Someone here thought they had seen that a logical
>could be defined to point to the RIGHTSLIST database to make sure that
>the correct one is used.  So, does anyone know where this is documented?
>or what the name of the logical is? and along the same lines, is there
>a logical for SYSUAF.DAT as well?
>
>I've poured throught the manuals to no avail...

Mark,
	I am no great expert on this either (and a very novice in some
aspects)   However,  what we do here is something like this.

ASSIGN SYS$COMMON:SYSUAF.DAT SYSUAF
ASSIGN SYS$COMMON:NETUAF.DAT NETUAF
ASSIGN SYS$COMMON:RIGHTSLIST.DAT RIGHTSLIST

I don't know where this is documented, or if it is!, but it seems to
work fine here.  Good luck

		Al Saganich, systems analyst
		Mass Genrl Hosp.
		Arpa:Saganich%frodo.decnet@mghccc.harvard.edu

------

petem@runx.ips.oz (Peter Mason) (09/26/87)

hen the system will find the correct SYSUAF.DAT. I suspect the
same is true for the rightslist file but have not tried it.

This comes about because of the way RMS attempts to open a file merely
named "SYSUAF". First it seeks a logical translation, and then it seeks
a SYSUAF.DAT with the suffix implied. Is a handy trick to use.

tedcrane@batcomputer.UUCP (09/30/87)

In article <8709171418.AA07129@mitre-bedford.ARPA> mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) writes:
>Here's the question: Someone here thought they had seen that a logical
>could be defined to point to the RIGHTSLIST database to make sure that
>the correct one is used.  So, does anyone know where this is documented?
>or what the name of the logical is? and along the same lines, is there
>a logical for SYSUAF.DAT as well?

Yes, you can do that.  RIGHTSLIST, SYSUAF, NETUAF, and all the other .DAT
files in SYS$SYSTEM can be redirected in this fashion.  For that matter,
if you use a little intuition, you will note that VMS and its utilities
are fairly consistent in their rules about looking for files they need.
In the case of AUTHORIZE, LOGINOUT, and the like, they use a open which
might look like this in FORTRAN:

	open (file='SYSUAF',defaultfile='SYS$SYSTEM:.DAT')

In other words, translate the logical 'SYSUAF'.  If found, use the translation,
if not, use the original string, 'SYSUAF'.  Either way, apply the default
location 'SYS$SYSTEM:.DAT'.

This has extended ramifications.  For example, the image activator uses
a similar mechanism.  Try defining TYPE (the name of an executable)
(for DCL this is frequently the verb, and you can look in SYS$SYSTEM to get
the exceptions) to be something else, or somewhere else.

As to where this is documented, well, it was a while back that I read the
manual, and I can't remember which one.  The bit about the .DAT files is
definitely documented...try the guide to VAXclusters, or look in any manual
for a section describing the initialization/setup of "homogeneous, but not
using a cluster common disk" VAXclusters (i.e., when several nodes in a cluster
share the same user database, but not necessarily the same system images)
(as opposed to a heterogeneous cluster, where they share nothing except a file
system, or a fully homogeneous cluster, where they share everything except
the necessaily unique files, like the paging files).

- ted crane, alias (tc)
tedcrane@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                       BITNET: tedcrane@CRNLTHRY
{decvax!ucbvax}!tcgould.tn.cornell.edu!tedcrane       DECnet: GOPHER::THC