[comp.os.vms] Idle Job Killer

UDCSTAFF@UDCVAX.BITNET (09/17/87)

Kevin Carosso writes:
> I was just getting set to send out the idle job killer we use.  I detailed
> it to INFO-VAX last month sometime with a promise to send it once I was
> satisfied
> that it was solid.

>    o Considers an entire job "tree" for idleness, not just
>      per process.  Hence leaves your idle editor subprocess
>      alone while you are doing other things.

One day, someone should collect all the known idle job killers out there and
compile a cross referenced list of features. (Aside from the one I developed
for my site, yours is the first I have come across that considers the entire
job for idle time.

>    o User utility to set what they consider to be their own "idle" time,
>      within limits defined by the SYSMGR.

We are a University (means lots of novice users) and we can't count on users
to set their own "idle" time. In other words, they would always choose the
maximum or they simply could not understand how to set it anyway.
Right now I have my job killer (The Grim Reaper) set so that
between 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM users are warned once after 20 minutes of no CPU
and I/O activity, warned again 5 minutes later and killed if idle for a max
of 30 minutes. Reaper allows 1 hour idle time during nighttime hours.
Reaper keeps a log file of killed/warned users that is superceded at
12 midnite every day.

Your program sounds interesting and should be of use to those sites tired of
'process' killers.  I like your idea about user adjustable time limits.
Good Luck, and I am waiting to see what you killer looks like.

And the idle job killer saga continues....

        |                   maroC ddoT | Todd Coram                   |
        |         tcoram@udcvax.bitnet | tentib.xavcdu@maroct         |
        |                   remmargorP | Programmer                   |
        | retneC retupmoC cimedacA CDU | UDC Academic Computer Center |

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing..."

d2b@rayssd.RAY.COM (Donald A. Borsay) (09/30/87)

In article <8709190650.AA28475@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> UDCSTAFF@UDCVAX.BITNET
writes:
>Right now I have my job killer (The Grim Reaper) set so that
>between 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM users are warned once after 20 minutes of no CPU
>and I/O activity, warned again 5 minutes later and killed if idle for a max
>of 30 minutes. Reaper allows 1 hour idle time during nighttime hours.
>Reaper keeps a log file of killed/warned users that is superceded at
>12 midnite every day.

And I happen to know of Yet Another Job Killer.  At a local university
an old decus idlewatch program was inhanced to be sensitive to the load
on the system.  The standard idle stop parameters were tied to the number
of users, allowing the system manager define the values.  The application
would be to allow idle users to be idle in an idle system, while requiring
them to utilize their interactve port when the system is busy.

Send me mail if your interested in the code.

--
Don    |Raytheon Company, Submarine Signal Division, Portsmouth, RI
Borsay |ARPAnet: d2b%rayssd.RAY.COM@a.cs.uiuc.edu