[comp.os.vms] DEBNT replacement

TEUN@HTIKUB5.BITNET (09/21/87)

So far BI-bus VAXen use the DEBNT as their Ethernet interface.
This device has been flamed more than ones on INFO-VAX,
i.e. things like "the worst performing Ethernet controller Digital ever made,
on the best bus they ever made".

At the VAX Question-and-Answer Session in Rome (DECUS Europe, september 10),
the panel claimed a new device is available (called DEBNA?). It would replace
the DEBNT free of charge for the machines with Digital maintenance contracts.

Has anyone seen this critter?

Teun Nijssen
Head Configurations Management Dpt.
Computer Centre
Tilburg University

Phone     : +31 13 662014 or +31 13 662240
Snail-Mail: P.O. Box 90153; NL-5000-LE Tilburg; the Netherlands
Visitors  : Hogeschoollaan 225; NL-5037-GC Tilburg; the Netherlands
Telex     : 52426 KUB
Surfnet   : KUBVX1::TEUN
PSI-Mail  : PSI%+204 1420061 0610::TEUN
Bitnet    : TEUN@HTIKUB5.BITNET
Internet  : TEUN%HTIKUB5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

Disclaimer "Rome is full of Italians"

gkn@SDS.SDSC.EDU (09/22/87)

	From:	 <TEUN%HTIKUB5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
	Subject: DEBNT replacement
	Date:	 Mon, 21 Sep 87 17:11 N

	So far BI-bus VAXen use the DEBNT as their Ethernet interface.
	This device has been flamed more than ones on INFO-VAX,
	i.e. things like "the worst performing Ethernet controller Digital ever made,
	on the best bus they ever made".

	At the VAX Question-and-Answer Session in Rome (DECUS Europe, september 10),
	the panel claimed a new device is available (called DEBNA?). It would replace
	the DEBNT free of charge for the machines with Digital maintenance contracts.

	Has anyone seen this critter?

	Teun Nijssen

I have at least one of each kind of ethernet (and CI, for that matter)
interface that DEC sells to the public (DEQNA, DEUNA, DELUA, DEBNT, DEBNA,
with a VAXstation-2000 on the way).

I have no performance figures for any of them (lack of time, mostly).

gkn
Internet: GKN@SDS.SDSC.EDU
Bitnet:   GKN@SDSC
Span:	  SDSC::GKN (27.1)
USPS:	  Gerard K. Newman
	  San Diego Supercomputer Center
	  P.O. Box 85608
	  San Diego, CA 92138
AT&T:	  619.534.5076

tpmsph@ecsvax.UUCP (Thomas P. Morris) (09/23/87)

In article <8709221547.AA06597@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, TEUN@HTIKUB5.BITNET writes:
> At the VAX Question-and-Answer Session in Rome (DECUS Europe, september 10),
> the panel claimed a new device is available (called DEBNA?). It would replace
> the DEBNT free of charge for the machines with Digital maintenance contracts.
> Has anyone seen this critter?
	Yes. Our local field service just replaced our DEBNT with a DEBNA
last week. The FSE didn't know much about the technical/performance
difference(s) between the two interfaces. It did seem to be more than just
microcode or e-net interface chip differences, though: the component layout
and count and chip types on the two boards were `completely different',
except of course for the BI interface glue. We haven't had the DEBNA in
long enough for me to be able to make any observations about efficiency/speed,
etc.

Tom Morris	University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
		School of Public Health
		Division of Computing and Information Services

TOM@UNCSPHVX.BITNET  or  ..!mcnc!ecsvax!tpmsph

tedcrane@batcomputer.UUCP (09/30/87)

>> At the VAX Question-and-Answer Session in Rome (DECUS Europe, september 10),
>> the panel claimed a new device is available (called DEBNA?). It would replace
>> the DEBNT free of charge for the machines with Digital maintenance contracts.
>> Has anyone seen this critter?

Yes. The DEBNA replaces the DEBNT.  Simple board swap.  Identical to user
level software (and possibly to driver).  Rumor has it that it is faster.

Incidentally, DEBNT stands for Digital Ethernet BI Network and *TAPE* (rumor
has it).  And yes, there is a tape drive interface on it.  Bounce that one
off your field service rep!