[comp.os.vms] Help with Data transference between RT-11 and VMS

sher@cs.buffalo.EDU (David Sher) (10/07/87)

My sister has sent me this question:
     What we'd like to know is whether anyone knows a way to read 8 inch
 floppies formatted with rt-11 on a new microvax.  Another way of solving
 the problem would be how to put a tk50 on a pdp-11 using rt-ll so that the
 tapes can be analyzed using a microvax (not using rt-11).  Thanks.

You can mail replies to me and I'll foward them.  Thank you!

-David Sher
ARPA: sher@cs.buffalo.edu	BITNET: sher@sunybcs
UUCP: {rutgers,ames,boulder,decvax}!sunybcs!sher

scco@ur-tut.UUCP (Sean Colbath) (10/08/87)

In article <5735@sunybcs.UUCP> sher@sunybcs.UUCP (David Sher) writes:
>     What we'd like to know is whether anyone knows a way to read 8 inch
> floppies formatted with rt-11 on a new microvax.  Another way of solving
> the problem would be how to put a tk50 on a pdp-11 using rt-ll so that the
> tapes can be analyzed using a microvax (not using rt-11).  Thanks.

Well, if you can get them on 5.25" floppies, they can be read with the
EXCHANGE program, which I believe is standard with VMS.  The RT-11 disks are
in something called 'Files-11' format which is a DEC standard for their older
PDP operating systems, I believe.  As for putting them on TK-50, I am pretty
sure there is a device driver for RT-11, but not positive.  If you are running
TSX under RT-11 I believe one comes with the system.  The only alternative I
can think of is writing the files on 8" disks, powering down the PDP, and
moving the board to the Microvax, if you have the appropriate device driver.

>-David Sher
>ARPA: sher@cs.buffalo.edu	BITNET: sher@sunybcs
>UUCP: {rutgers,ames,boulder,decvax}!sunybcs!sher

Sean Colbath

Internet: scco@tut.cc.rochester.edu
UUCP:	  ...allegra!rochester!ur-tut!scco
BITNET:   SCCOCCSS@UORVM
"...and now for something completely different..."