[comp.os.vms] information on VMSINSTAL

WARNOCK@PRISM.CLEMSON.EDU (Todd Warnock) (10/11/87)

Are the "internals" of VMSINSTAL documented anywhere ?  (ie:  I want to
write procedures that can use VMSINSTAL to install them.)  Any clues, hints,
books, or pointers ?

Thanks !

Todd Warnock
VAX Systems
Clemson University
Clemson, South Carolina 29634-2803

ARPA:	Warnock@Prism.Clemson.EDU
BITnet:	Warnock@Clemson

jon@mdbs.UUCP (Jon D. Reid) (10/13/87)

In article <8710111454.AA07040@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "Jerry Leichter" <leichter@venus.ycc.yale.edu> writes:
>There's a DEC manual, called something like "User's Guide To VMSINSTAL".  It's
>not part of the regular VMS documentation set, but has to be ordered separately

It's called the "VAX/VMS Developer's Guide to VMSINSTAL", order number
AA-HB12A-TE.  As with all DEC manuals, it's ridiculously expensive, but
worth it if you're developing serious commercial software that's to be
installed with VMSINSTAL.

You can also learn a lot by using BACKUP to dump the save sets on a DEC
product (like VAX C) and looking at the files used by VMSINSTAL (you write
a command procedure called KITINSTAL.COM which VMSINSTAL calls; KITINSTAL
is always in save set A of any product kit meant to be installed with
VMSINSTAL).
Jon Reid	      	      ...!{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax,rutgers}!pur-ee!mdbs!jon
Micro Data Base Systems, Inc.
PO Box 248 Lafayette, In.  47902		["Your plan worked, Muad'Dib!"]