[net.dcom] modems and call waiting

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) (01/16/85)

I suppose systems vary but I thought only the person receiving the
(second) call was supposed to hear the call waiting tone.  If both ends
got the call waiting tone then how would they know which one was
getting the call?  Of course switching in the tone may cause a loss of
signal to the other party even if they are not hearing the tone.  Does
it really cause loss of carrier on both ends or is the other end only
dropping out because the first one did?

I agree that the system hanging up on loss of carrier is important but
the usually the call is coming in on an attended terminal not a
system.  It is not necessary for the attended terminal to hang up on
loss of carrier, presumably the user will note this and hang up
manually.

I think it would be worth changing the 'disconnect on loss of carrier'
option at terminals if you are bothered by call waiting tones.  Of
course you are going to miss all those important calls...

				Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC
{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!jerry

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (01/20/85)

> From: jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre)
> Subject: Re: modems and call waiting
> Date: Wed, 16-Jan-85 15:11:09 EST

> I suppose systems vary but I thought only the person receiving the
> (second) call was supposed to hear the call waiting tone.

The other party hears a characteristic double click; I don't know for certain,
but it would quite likely cause a carrier glitch.

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (01/27/85)

In Raleigh, when I'm talking to a person who has call-waiting and
who receives a call, there is a distinct click-click.  I would
guess it is loud enough to cause bit errors, even if there was no
interuption in the path from them to my modem.
--henry

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (01/28/85)

> > From: jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre)
> > Subject: Re: modems and call waiting
> > Date: Wed, 16-Jan-85 15:11:09 EST
>
> > I suppose systems vary but I thought only the person receiving the
> > (second) call was supposed to hear the call waiting tone.
>
> The other party hears a characteristic double click; I don't know for certain,
> but it would quite likely cause a carrier glitch.

Both parties also hear the click when the person you have on "hold" hangs
up the phone.

-Ron

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (01/29/85)

The {i problem with un-sync'd digital trunks is something we should
all be starting to worry about, even those of us who haven't seen it
yet.  Because sooner or later, many of us will get attacked by this
problem, and the odds of getting telcos to fix it are rather
small in most cases.  Clever communication software can deal with
it, of course.  Anybody care to discuss this?

--Lauren--

rjk@mgweed.UUCP (Randy King) (02/02/85)

<><><><><><>
>>> I suppose systems vary but I thought only the person receiving the
>>> (second) call was supposed to hear the call waiting tone.

>> The other party hears a characteristic double click; I don't know
>> for certain, but it would quite likely cause a carrier glitch.

This "click" is characteristic of retro-fitted central offices.  With
the new AT&T #5-ESS office, the call-waiting beep is *very* subtle to
the person receiving the call, and there are absolutely no clicks.
People tell me that when I switch over, it just gets quiet; no clicks
on the switchook flash.  They can't even tell when I come back until
I say something.  And they cannot tell when I've got a call.

Now if I could just get the dingbats at Illinois Bell to synchronize
the digital trunk of this new #5 office so I don't get the "{i" crap
anymore.  Sheesh.
						Randy King
						AT&T-CP@MG
						ihnp4!mgweed!rjk