[comp.os.vms] VAXstation keybd questions

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (10/13/87)

OK, on a microVMS VAXstation, is there a way to get an ESC key in a
single keystroke, and a BREAK key in a single keystroke?

On a real vt220 (North American) keyboard, F5 = BREAK, and F11 = ESC,
but even in vt220 emulation, the VAXstation preempts F5 for CYCLE and
leaves F11 as ESC[23~ (7-bit controls).

It's a royal pain having to use ctrl-[ for ESC in emacs on a VAXstation!
(No, EDT doesn't cut it for what I want to do.  No, I don't have time
to learn TPU.)

Thanks,
Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

jg@jumbo.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (10/13/87)

Won't do you immediate good unless you want to run Ultrix for a while,
but X11 has extensive facilites for customizing keyboards to taste.

I don't know if UIS has any way to solve your problem.
				Jim Gettys

stuart@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stu Ericson) (10/14/87)

In article <17848@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) writes:
> OK, on a microVMS VAXstation, is there a way to get an ESC key in a
> single keystroke, and a BREAK key in a single keystroke?
>
> On a real vt220 (North American) keyboard, F5 = BREAK, and F11 = ESC,
> but even in vt220 emulation, the VAXstation preempts F5 for CYCLE and
> leaves F11 as ESC[23~ (7-bit controls).

I thought you had to be in VT100 emulation on a VT220 to get those
mappings for F5 and F11, so maybe there is a similar setting on the
VAXstation.

A shortcut for ESC on most new DEC keyboards is CTRL-3. ( don't ask
me why!)  I believe that other numbers give CTRL shortcuts as well,
but not for break...

Stu

--
Stuart Ericson			USnail:		AT&T Bell Laboratories
USENET: ...!ihnp4!ihlpf!stuart			IH 6M-313

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (10/15/87)

> I thought you had to be in VT100 emulation on a VT220 to get those
> mappings for F5 and F11, so maybe there is a similar setting on the
> VAXstation.

I've tried using the workstation setup menus to set the "terminal type"
to vt100, but when I pop a new terminal window, "show term" says I'm
using a "vt200_series" terminal.  Even if I then "set term/dev=vt100",
I still get F5 = cycle and F11 = ESC[23~ ... FOO and double BAR.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
USnail:	   Teknowledge Inc, 1850 Embarcadero Rd, POB 10119, Palo Alto, CA 94303

ignatz@chinet.UUCP (Dave Ihnat) (10/18/87)

I'm not at work right now, so I can't verify this, but to the fellow
who complained that he (in summary) set the terminal type to vt100, but the
system still defined it as a vt220:  I believe you have to ALSO have
it use a vt100 ID; this is another item in the selection menu.
--
			Dave Ihnat
			ihnp4!homebru!ignatz || ihnp4!chinet!ignatz