[comp.os.vms] lines 0 and 1 on a dmf32

SYSTEM@V1.ESP.SOTON.AC.UK (10/21/87)

Anthony A. Datri writes:

> We've got two dmf32's on a 785 running vms 4.4 or so, and we've been
> having trouble making them work as terminals.  Is there some unobvious
> magic to this?

I too had this problem, when trying to connect a VT220 to our 11/750, via
a DEC cable we had lying around.  Basically, it turns out that lines 0 and 1
respect more of the modem control lines etc. than the others (have a close
look at the sockets - they actually have more pins than the others!).  Most
of the cables we use to connect terminals to serial lines are made by us, and
have 9 wires.  However, it turned out that the DEC cable we tried to use had
only 3 wires (hard to check, as it had moulded plugs), and so was not able to
satisfy ports 0 or 1.  Hope this helps,
   Ian

|  Ian Glendinning                 JANET:  ian@UK.AC.soton.esp.v1             |
|                                  BITNET: ian%UK.AC.soton.esp.v1@AC.UK       |
|  Concurrent Computation Group    ARPA:   ian%UK.AC.soton.esp.v1@ucl-cs.ARPA |
|  Dept of Electronics & Comp.Sci  UUCP:   ...!mcvax!sot-cm!igl               |
|  University of Southampton       Other:  ian@v1.esp.soton.AC.UK             |
|  SOUTHAMPTON SO9 5NH                                                        |
|  United Kingdom                  Phone:  +44 703 559122 extn 3368           |