[comp.os.vms] A Suggestion for Reducing INFO-VAX Traffic

RMANGALD@CLARKU.BITNET (10/25/87)

        The topic of reducing the message volume on INFO-VAX has cropped
up often, and I think I am not alone in saying I would like to see it go
down.  Toward this end, I propose that a new mailing list -- call it
INFO-VMS --  be created for discussing software issues in the VAX/VMS
environment, and that INFO-VAX be then dedicated to discussing hardware
issues.

        The number of messages concerning each issue are about even, and
thus the message volume on both lists, hopefully, would be halved.
Moreover, this would offer additional selectivity to subscribers like
me, who are interested in only one of these issues (in my case,
the software issues).

        This is just a suggestion, so no flames please; what do you
people out there think of this idea?

                                Sincerely,

                                Rahul Mangaldas.
                                rmangaldas@clarku.bitnet

mueller@NRL-RADAR.ARPA (Harold Mueller) (10/27/87)

Nah.  I'm a software hacker too, but I like to skim through some of the
hardware messages just to keep our hardware people honest.  And many
problems, such as networking, clusters, and I/O, don't resolve well into
hardware and software.  Fragmenting the list would take away much of
its utility to me.

Besides, given the recent gyrations of INFO-IBMPC in its attempt to
find a new home, I'd guess the chances of finding a host for a SECOND
VAX list are somewhere between slim and none.

kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) (10/27/87)

>        The topic of reducing the message volume on INFO-VAX has cropped
>up often, and I think I am not alone in saying I would like to see it go
>down.  Toward this end, I propose that a new mailing list -- call it
>INFO-VMS --  be created for discussing software issues in the VAX/VMS
>environment, and that INFO-VAX be then dedicated to discussing hardware
>issues.

  I'd probably read them both, so I doubt it make any difference to me.

  Although I'm a digest-hater, I still think a digest is the best solution for
those who want less volume. I just don't know who would do the digesting.

/kenw
Ken Wallewein                                                    A L B E R T A
psi%62700056::kenw                                             R E S E A R C H
kenw@noah.arc.cdn                                                C O U N C I L