[comp.os.vms] INFO-VAX vs INFO-VMS vs ...

mhg@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) (10/29/87)

Andy Wing (V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU) writes:
>     Rahul Mangaldas (rmangaldas@clarku.bitnet) sees the need for a
>separate INFO-VMS list and I'm in full agreement.  There is already
>an INFO-ULTRIX list somewhere.  I also see sometime in the future
>the need for a list for ALL-IN-ONE.  This DEC package seems to be
>the wave of the future and lots of users are configuring it them-
>selves rather than pay DEC to do it.
>     My guess is that questions about ALL-IN-ONE will swamp INFO-VMS
>the same way that Hypercard questions have swamped INFO-MAC.

First, I disagree with Rahul's suggestion for separate -VAX and -VMS
lists.  INFO-VAX imples (to me anyway) VAX operations, be they VMS,
Ultrix, software, hardware, connectivity, what have you -- the entire
realm.  Each issue is related; your hardware is useless without
software.  It seems ridiculous to discuss how to connect two or more
VAXen without discussing, say, performance issues of certain software
packages under different network conditions or what software is
available to manage your connected hardware.

Creating two or three or one hundred INFO- lists might reduce the
amount of mail you (collectivly, personnally) have to read, but it is
likely that sites such as mine would then subscribe to all of them (or
a majority of them), thus not reducing local in-bound network traffic
at all.  In the larger sense, with all these 'new and segregated'
lists, there will be be the same amount of traffic if not more traffic
in general (in the world) [if I am not mistaken...].

One last thing (before I stop frothing at the mouth):  Mr. Wing
mentions 'INFO-VMS' and 'INFO-ALL-IN-1' in the same breath (so to
speak).  It is important to note the difference between software (like
All-IN-1) and operating systems (VMS, Ultrix) and the relationship
of each to the other.  How can you discuss software performace
without considering the hardware it's running on?

This has been one mans opinion...I left my fire retardant suit at home
today, so please, no flames...

| Mark H. Granoff                       Member of the Technical Staff |
| USMAIL: The MITRE Corporation   | ARPAnet: mhg @ mitre-bedford.ARPA |
|         Burlington Rd.          | UUCP   : linus!mbunix!mhg         |
|         Bedford, MA 01730       | A T & T: (617) 271 - 7030         |
|The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect |
|                      those of my employer.                          |