[comp.os.vms] GNU Emacs hates Ultrix DECnet?

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (10/30/87)

When I "dlogin" from my Ultrix 1.2 VAX to my uVMS 4.5 GPX on a
vt100 and try to run GNU Emacs 18.41, Emacs doesn't see C-x, C-u, or DEL.

- I 'DEFINE EMACS_TERM "vt100"' before starting emacs.

- When I'm at the DCL prompt, ^X, ^U and DEL work OK over ultrix decnet.

- When I decnet from another VMS machine to the GPX on a vt100, emacs works
  fine.

- When I'm logged in directly at the GPX, with the vt220 emulation window
  type set to vt100 and "SET TERM/VT100", emacs works fine.

Any clues anyone?

Thanks,
Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (10/31/87)

In article <18441@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) writes:
>When I "dlogin" from my Ultrix 1.2 VAX to my uVMS 4.5 GPX on a
>vt100 and try to run GNU Emacs 18.41, Emacs doesn't see C-x, C-u, or DEL.

As far as I can tell, DECnet-Ultrix handles the DCL editing characters and
the interrupt characters (c-C and c-Y) locally, and there appears to be
no way to turn it off.  I haven't looked at DECnet-Ultrix 2.0 yet, so
I don't know if the problem is still there.

We "solved" this by installing a DECnet XTERM object on the VMS machines
(we have X windows running on our Ultrix machines).

--Pat.

howie@cunixc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) (11/01/87)

dlogind still seems to strip out some local characters in DECNET 2.0.
I have noticed that ^T (load avg) which is handled by the kernel
doesn't work under dlogin.

Howie Kaye				howie@columbia.edu
Columbia University 			hlkcu@cuvma.bitnet
Systems Group				...!rutgers!columbia!howie

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (11/01/87)

> dlogind still seems to strip out some local characters in DECNET 2.0.
> I have noticed that ^T (load avg) which is handled by the kernel
> doesn't work under dlogin.

> Howie Kaye				howie@columbia.edu
> Columbia University 			hlkcu@cuvma.bitnet
> Systems Group				...!rutgers!columbia!howie

(I've removed comp.emacs from the newsgroup list)

We find that when doing "SET HOST" from a VMS machine (up through VMS 4.4)
to an Ultrix 1.2 machine, we need to SET NOCONTROL = (T, Y) and also
SET TERM /NOPASTHRU/NOHOSTSYNC/NOTTSYNC -- to prevent the VMS terminal
driver from interpreting control characters that we want Ultrix to see.

I haven't bothered to figure out why, but doing the above turns out to be
a bad move when doing SET HOST between 2 VMS machines.  (Things like command
line editing stop working).

I've tried "stty raw litout; dlogin vms_node", but it behaves the same as
a plain old "dlogin vms_node".

Running tcp/ip on the VMS side works a lot better.  Too bad tcp/ip isn't
a DEC layered product for VMS.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
USnail:	   Teknowledge Inc, 1850 Embarcadero Rd, POB 10119, Palo Alto, CA 94303

pinkas@cadev4.UUCP (11/02/87)

In article <18441@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) writes:

>When I "dlogin" from my Ultrix 1.2 VAX to my uVMS 4.5 GPX on a
>vt100 and try to run GNU Emacs 18.41, Emacs doesn't see C-x, C-u, or DEL.
>
>- I 'DEFINE EMACS_TERM "vt100"' before starting emacs.
>
>- When I'm at the DCL prompt, ^X, ^U and DEL work OK over ultrix decnet.
>
>- When I decnet from another VMS machine to the GPX on a vt100, emacs works
>  fine.
>
>- When I'm logged in directly at the GPX, with the vt220 emulation window
>  type set to vt100 and "SET TERM/VT100", emacs works fine.

I have run in to this problem before and brought it to DEC's attention.  I
have not heard anything yet.  (I actually reported it when I couldn't get
micro-Emacs to work.  When it occured later with GNU-Emacs, I reported it,
but left it at that.)

It is a general problem in DECNET.  The best that I have been able to track
down is that it has something to do with the way DECNET interacts with the
PTY mechanism.  Apparently, ther terminal is not being set into the corrent
mode.  (Note:  I had a similar problem going the other way.  When I SET
HOST to an Ultrix machine, some characters would be lost.  I fixed that
with the following DCL command file, which I called DLOGIN.COM:

$ SET TERM/PASSALL
$ SET HOST 'p1
$ SET TERM/NOPASSALL

All this, however, did not help me log in to VMS from my GPX and run any
form of Emacs.  I did find out that if you have TCP/IP running on VMS, you
can use TELNET without any problems.  (Note that you must also have TCP/IP
on your Ultrix machine, but I have not seen one yet that doesn't have
TCP/IP and has DECNET.)

So what I do is use telnet instead of dlogin to go from Ultrix to VMS.

-Israel

P.S.  If I ever hear from DEC, I will post on comp.unix.ultrix.

Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent
the opinions of Intel Corporation.  In no way should the above be taken
to be a statement of Intel.

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!cadev4!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%cadev4.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas%cadev4.intel.com

---------
"You can do more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word"

			-Al Capone