[comp.os.vms] Terminal hangup

U00170@HASARA5.BITNET (10/31/87)

Hello,

I have a problem with an Apple laserwriter connected to a
terminal port of a VAX 11/750.
Sometimes the terminal, or better the device, has hung itself.
(Unit timed out).
It is waiting for a <CTRL>Q but the laserwriter, for some reason,
does not do that.

Is there a way to reset the terminal driver, without having
to reboot the entire system? Who has ever made such a reset
program?

Berend F. de Vries
U00170@HASARA5.

"James_A._Gray.OsbuSouth"@XEROX.COM (11/02/87)

> I have a problem with an Apple laserwriter connected to a terminal
port of
> VAX 11/750.  Sometimes the terminal, or better the device, has hung
up.
> (Unit timed out).  It is waiting for a <CTRL>Q but the laserwriter,
for
> some reason, does not do that.

> Is there a way to reset the terminal driver, without having to reboot
the
> entire system? Who has ever made such a reset program?

There is an undocumented and unsupported DCL command that will probably
do what you want.

	$ SET TERMINAL ttan:/XON

Be aware that since this is "undocumented and unsupported" Digital will
probably disavow the command and recommend against using it.  On the
other hand, I have used it with great success.

	Jim

dp@JASPER.Palladian.COM (Jeffrey Del Papa) (11/02/87)

    Date: 28 OCT 87 17:42-N
    From: U00170%HASARA5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

    Hello,

    I have a problem with an Apple laserwriter connected to a
    terminal port of a VAX 11/750.
    Sometimes the terminal, or better the device, has hung itself.
    (Unit timed out).
    It is waiting for a <CTRL>Q but the laserwriter, for some reason,
    does not do that.

    Is there a way to reset the terminal driver, without having
    to reboot the entire system? Who has ever made such a reset
    program?

    Berend F. de Vries
    U00170@HASARA5.

check the version of postscript that your laserwriter is using. ther is a bug in
postscript version 23 that causes the printer to behave as such. There exists a patch
for it, you can check with apple or adobe.

the version number can be found by quereying the printer, or by inspecting the power
up test page. the version number is on one of the little tables, version 1.0 is
postscript 23. Laserwriter pluses use version 32 (or later) and don't have the
problem, so an upgrage to the roms may also be a way to fix it.

<dp>

kvc@nrcvax.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (11/03/87)

In article <8710310940.AA17786@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> U00170@HASARA5.BITNET writes:
>It is waiting for a <CTRL>Q but the laserwriter, for some reason,
>does not do that.
>
>Is there a way to reset the terminal driver, without having
>to reboot the entire system? Who has ever made such a reset
>program?

DEC has... :-)

You might try doing a SET TERMINAL/XON to the hung up device.  This tells
the terminal driver to pretend it just received an XON (^Q) and to resume
output.  You may need the SHARE privilege to do this to the device if
someone, like a print symbiont, owns it.  I don't know where, or if, this
is documented.

	/Kevin Carosso                  kvc@nrcvax.uucp
	 Network Research Co.           kvc@engvax.scg.hac.com