[comp.os.vms] talking to MAIL

WARNOCK@PRISM.CLEMSON.EDU.UUCP (10/30/87)

Is there any documentation on how to talk to VMSMail from a machine that
runs DECnet but is NOT running VMS ?   In particular, I'm interested in
writing the equivilent of MAIL.EXE that will talk from this foreign machine
to a DECnet node running VMS via the DECnet object.

Any clues, hints, programs that do this, etc. would be appreciated !

Todd Warnock
VAX Systems
Clemson University
Clemson, South Carolina 29634-2803

ARPA:	Warnock@Prism.Clemson.EDU
BITnet:	Warnock@Clemson

kvc@nrcvax.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (11/05/87)

In article <8711020104.AA16826@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> WARNOCK@PRISM.CLEMSON.EDU (Todd Warnock) writes:
>Is there any documentation on how to talk to VMSMail from a machine that
>runs DECnet but is NOT running VMS ?   In particular, I'm interested in
>writing the equivilent of MAIL.EXE that will talk from this foreign machine
>to a DECnet node running VMS via the DECnet object.
>
>Any clues, hints, programs that do this, etc. would be appreciated !
>
>Todd Warnock

The protocol involved is called MAIL-11.  I wrote something I called SENDMAIL
way back in the waning days of VMS V3.X that spoke MAIL-11 so I could get
stuff between our UUCP port and VMS MAIL.  I put it on a DECUS tape back then.
Let's see...  VMS V4 showed up somewhere around X-mas of '84, right?  I think
I put it on the Spring '84 (possibly fall '84) DECUS tape then.  I know I've
seen it in the DECUS SIG tape index on subsequent tapes.  That should point
you to the right tape.  Once V4 showed up I cut over to the foreign protocol
interface and ditched the SENDMAIL code.

One of the DEC related rags, DEC Professional maybe?, had an article with
a BASIC program that spoke a limited bit of MAIL-11 -- enough to forge
MAIL messages.  I believe the article was pointing out the fact that
electronic mail is not particularly secure.  This was some time ago, like
last year or the year before.

Wish I could be more specific.

	/Kevin Carosso                    kvc@nrcvax.uucp
	 Network Research Co.             kvc@engvax.scg.hac.com

ps.  It might have been called DELIVERMAIL...