[comp.os.vms] EMACS

CRAA055%UK.AC.KCL.CC.VAXB@AC.UK (06/06/87)

Having heard a lot about EMACS. Is there anyone who could post me a copy.
Please do not send source at this stage, just a quick comment to the effect
that you can send it. Ill get back to you.

Thank you.

Andy Harper
Systems Manager
Kings College London  UK

A.Harper @ VAXB.CC.KCL.AC.UK
A.HARPER%KCL.CC.VAXB @ UCL-CS.ARPA

MHUGHES@IRLEARN.BITNET (Martin Hughes) (11/02/87)

Hi,

Second attempt (the first vanished into the ether...):
This is probably an old chestnut. I'm looking for an EMACS editor for
VMS. We have GNU EMACS, called 17.VMS-4, based on 17.62 but the documentation
mentions that a newer version will soon be available. The notice was dated
sometime in '86. Can anyone tell me what is the up-to-date story on this?

Has anyone written anything in TPU to emulate EMACS a la Twenex?

/Martin Hughes                        (MHUGHES@IRLEARN.BITNET)

mroz@hudson.steinmetz (peter a mroz) (11/06/87)

In article <8711050600.AA14316@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MHUGHES@IRLEARN.BITNET
 (Martin Hughes) writes:

> ... I'm looking for an EMACS editor for
>VMS. We have GNU EMACS, called 17.VMS-4, based on 17.62 but the documentation
>mentions that a newer version will soon be available. The notice was dated
>sometime in '86. Can anyone tell me what is the up-to-date story on this?
>
>Has anyone written anything in TPU to emulate EMACS a la Twenex?
>
>/Martin Hughes                        (MHUGHES@IRLEARN.BITNET)

We have GNU Emacs version 18.49 up and running under VMS version 4.5 and
4.6.  MANY improvements over version 17.  I highly recommend it.

Can't help you with a TPU emulation of emacs.  Why not use the real thing
instead?

Here's how to obtain the latest version (culled from info-mode):

The easiest way to get a copy of GNU Emacs is from someone else who has
it.  You need not ask for permission to do so, or tell any one else; just
copy it.

If you have access to the Internet, you can get the latest distribution
version of GNU Emacs from host `prep.ai.mit.edu' using anonymous login.
See the file `/u2/emacs/GETTING.GNU.SOFTWARE' on that host to find out
about your options for copying and which files to use.

You may also receive GNU Emacs when you buy a computer.  Computer
manufacturers are free to distribute copies on the same terms that apply
to everyone else.  These terms require them to give you the full sources,
including whatever changes they may have made, and to permit you to
redistribute the GNU Emacs received from them under the usual terms of
the General Public License.  In other words, the program must be free for
you when you get it, not just free for the manufacturer.

If you cannot get a copy in any of those ways, you can order one from the
Free Software Foundation.  Though Emacs itself is free, our distribution
service is not.  (I believe they charge $100)

     Free Software Foundation
     1000 Mass Ave
     Cambridge, MA 02138
     USA

Peter Mroz
General Electric			| ARPA: mroz@ge-crd.arpa
Corporate Research and Development	| UUCP: mroz@moose.steinmetz.ge.com
PO Box 8, 37-2081			| UUCP: {uunet!}steinmetz!mroz!crd
Schenectady, NY 12301			| 518-387-6021