[comp.os.vms] Results on: Ethernet software problems on LAVC systems

ted@blia.BLI.COM (Ted Marshall) (11/09/87)

In article <3589@blia.BLI.COM>, I wrote about a problem installing our Ethernet
software on an 8350 already running LAVC, LAT and DECnet through the same DEBNT.
Already, I have received two very meaty replies and it looks like the problem
is solved.

Bob Craig from DEC DSM Technical Programs Group <craig@dsm.dec.com> writes:

>I believe the problem you are having with the 8350 BI Ethernet
>controller returning a SS$_INSFMEM (Insufficient Dynamic Memory)
>error is due to a newly discovered bug in the controller.  A patch has
>been issued, and you should contact your local DEC office to have it
>installed.

Today, I called DEC TSC and confirmed the existance of the patch. It is titled:
"ETDRIVER patch for insufficient dynamic memory and/or no I/O channels
available errors". As Bob wrote, people who need this patch should contact
their local DEC office. I have advised my customer to do this. I will let the
net know if this fixes the problem.

Also, a bit of trivia: the ETDRIVER, though shipped with VMS, is maintained
by the DECnet group. I descovered this because my site accedentally let the
DECnet liscense lapse on the machine whose access number I was calling on
(soon to be corrected) and so TSC was balking on giving the patch to me.

Now this is all fine and good, but there still may be a problem, because
Jerry Toporek of Network Research Corp. <...ncrvax!minnie!jt> also wrote:

>If you haven't gotten an explanation yet, read this sitting down, it's going
>to make you sick.
>
>We went through this with our first DEBNT customer some time ago.  Fortunately,
>he had good connections at DEC, so we got decent support.
>
>It seems that the ETDRIVER allocates a fixed number of buffers to be shared
>amongst all clients.  I don't remember the number, and don't have 4.5 fiche,
>but I do remember that after loading up on DECnet, LAT, etc., there were
>only TWO buffers left for us.  This was too bad, since we were trying to
>register for three protocols.  If you are trying to get just XNS, you may
>be able to squeeze in using the NMA$C_PCLI_BFN buffer count specifier.  Our
>customer had to get a patch from DEC to change the number of buffers to
>ET will get.  That worked fine, except that if we requested any more than
>four buffers, the request would succeed, but no data would ever flow.  It
>seems that the ETDRIVER has some problem allowing anyone, other than DECnet
>of course, more than four buffers.
>
>I should point out that none of this is first-hand, but after adding the
>provision to specify the number of buffer we want, we have been able to
>successfully get going at a large number of ET sites.  Another disclaimer:
>some sites never seemed to have this problem at all.  I wonder if it is
>fixed in a newer version of the ETDRIVER, perhaps.

I suspect but cannot be sure that the problem Jerry saw was actually the
fixed by the patch Bob reported. Anyway, if the patch does not solve the
problem, I will explore this some more.

Again, thanks to everyone.

--
Ted Marshall       ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted <or> mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
Britton Lee, Inc., 14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030     (408)378-7000