[comp.os.vms] Lost in History

west%etd1.DECnet@AFWAL-AAA.ARPA ("ETD1::WEST") (11/17/87)

From:	AVLAB::MAILER       16-NOV-1987 22:32
To:	ETD1::WEST
Subj:	DDN Mail Message

Date:         Mon, 16 Nov 87 18:04-0800
X400-Trace:   US**EDU; arrival Mon, 16 Nov 87 18:04-0800 action Relayed
X400-Trace:   US**EDU; arrival Mon, 16 Nov 87 19:22-0800 action Relayed
From:         PMDF Mail Server<Postmaster@VAX4.BITNET>
To:           "ETD1::WEST"<west%etd1.decnet@afwal-aaa.arpa>
Subject:      Undeliverable mail

The message could not be delivered to:

Addressee: 8250480
Reason: %MAIL-E-NOSUCHUSR, no such user 8250480 at node VAX4

Date: 13 Nov 87 08:36:00 EDT
From: "ETD1::WEST" <WEST%ETD1.DECNET@AFWAL-AAA.ARPA>
Subject: LAT vs. any other kind of terminal connection
Sender: INFO-VAX Discussion <INFO-VAX@VTVM2>
To: "(no name)" <8250480@UWAV4>
Comments: To: info-vax <info-vax@kl.sri.com>
Comments: cc: labovitz%etd2.decnet@afwal-aaa.arpa

At the Air Force Avionics Lab, we have an Ethernet backbone with (at least)
12 VAX and lots of graphics workstations attached.  This backbone runs
DECnet, LAT, CALMAnet, TCP/IP and more.  This backbone serves AT LEAST 40 and
maybe more highly utilized terminal servers (DECserver 100 and 200's.)  This
is 320 terminals and PC's connected by LAT,  there are also several (10-15)
devices connected by reverse LAT on DS200's...FOM's etc.

My point...the net is busy but not strained.  There is NO terminal I/O
degredation...and this technique beats using DZ-11's hands down for off loading
processing.  A performance audit showed that 15% of the CPU was being spent
handling interrupts (from DZ-11's).  After getting rid of the DZ's and
going to LAT,  the time spent in interrupt was .LT. 2%.  Over 10% of the VAX
cpu time was returned to the users for the price of an upgrade which is
justifiable in terms of convenience (for distributed connect capability) alone!

Mike West
Air Force Avionics Lab
AFWAL/AADE
WPAFB, OH 45433