[comp.os.vms] Non-tansparent DECnet problem

JON@UCLASTRO.BITNET (11/14/87)

To netters,

        A new subject.... A couple of questions:

a) Out of curiosity, does anyone know whether there exists (for free,
   of course), machine-readable source for all the examples that are
   given in standard set of VMS manuals (i.e. does someone have them
   on tape, disk, etc.)?

b) A DECnet problem.  I need to write programs that use the non-transparent
   interface to DECnet.  Specifically, I need to write tasks that will
   call DNA network servers set up on a Sun (since sun does not provide
   any servers and they do not support transparent operation).  In
   writing the basic test programs, I can create, on the Sun, a
   DNA network server and a program that connects to it.  On the
   VAX, I can also write a server which the Sun requesting program
   can also connect to.  However, I am unable to get a VAX program
   to connect to either the VAX server or the Sun server.  The VAX
   connecting program always complains about network object unknown.
   However, NCP shows that such an object does exist and the Sun is
   able to connect to it. :-)
   If anyone has done non-transparent DNA programming, I would appreciate
   a few pointers (i.e. your version of the bare-bones programs for a
   server and something to connect to it).  Also, a thorough discussion
   of the NCB (network connect block) would be helpful.

   NOTE: I have typed in the non-transparent MACRO example in the network
   manual, and it gets the same error.

   If anyone would like to see my programs, drop me a line and I will
   send them to you (this saves me the embarrassment of the whole net
   seeing bad programming).

                                        Jonathan Eisenhamer
                                        UCLA Astronomy
                                        JON@UCLASTRO.BITNET
                                        BONNIE::JON (SPAN 5828)
                                        (213) 206-8596

(-::-)(-::-)(-::-)(-::-)(-::-)(-::-)(-::-)(-::-)(-::-)(-::-)(-::-)(-::-)(-::-)

MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET.UUCP (11/24/87)

> Date:         Fri, 13 Nov 87 14:22 PST
> From:         JON%UCLASTRO.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
> Subject:      Non-tansparent DECnet problem
>
> b) A DECnet problem.  I need to write programs that use the non-transparent
>    interface to DECnet.  Specifically, I need to write tasks that will
>    call DNA network servers set up on a Sun (since sun does not provide
>    any servers and they do not support transparent operation).

There is a new version of Sun DNA (Sun DECnet) coming out very shortly which has
built-in support for additional network objects (servers) and additional support
for network tasks.  For example, we're supposed to get FAL (the file access
listener).  The new version supports file transfer originating on the VMS side,
and, more generally, remote file access from either side, I'm told.

I'd call the Sun support hotline and ask them for more information on the new
release.

Ed