   ----- Unsent message follows -----
Date:         Sun, 29 Nov 87 12:52-0800
X400-Trace:   US**EDU; arrival Sun, 29 Nov 87 12:52-0800 action Relayed
X400-Trace:   US**EDU; arrival Sun, 29 Nov 87 12:53-0800 action Relayed
From: The Mail Server<Postmaster@UWAV1.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
To: <INFO-VAX@KL.SRI.COM>
Subject:      Undeliverable mail

Message had a bad or missing To address.
The entire text of the message follows:

Date: 23 Nov 87 17:04:07 GMT
From: Rahul Dhesi <IUVAX!BSU-CS!DHESI@RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Re: Times and Time Zones
Sender: INFO-VAX Discussion <INFO-VAX@VTVM2>
To: Pete Pulliam <PETE@UWAV1>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was info-vax-request@kl.sri.com
Comments: To: info-vax@kl.sri.com

In article <8711220353.AA03743@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> IVANOVIC%VAXR@LLL-ICDC.ARPA
("Vladimir Ivanovic, x3-7786") writes:

>One of the stated reasons for Daylight Savings Time is to increase the
>amount of light when schoolchilden board buses in the morning, thereby
>reducing the number of accidents.  Is that stupid?

Yes.  First you set a school starting time that's too early in the
morning, when there isn't enough light, and then you observe too many
accidents, so, instead of adjusting the starting time, you tell
everybody to change the clock?  It sounds like an awfully complicated
way of starting school at 9 instead of 8.

Most of Indiana does not observe daylight savings time and gets along
just fine, and avoids a lot of confusion (and a lot of misadjusted
clocks twice a year).  Somebody ought to sit down and calculate how
many man-hours of labor goes every year into moving clocks backwards
and forwards, and into fixing the problems caused by confusion about
when daylight savings actually starts, which is not always known in
advance, making it much harder to make software behave correctly.  You
have already seen people asking questions about how to make VMS handle
daylight savings correctly.  Some people actually reboot their system
twice a year just for this purpose.  Worse, not all countries agree on
when daylight savings will start, which means international carriers
have to hit an elusive target with their printed schedules, to say
nothing of international broadcasting.  The costs are hidden, but you
can be sure there are plenty.

>Seems to me that Rahul Dhesi ought to rephrase his comments to delete the
>name calling and instead provide reasoning for his points of view.  We
>might just agree.

Name-calling directed at inanimate objects ("damn this stupid
computer!") or at ideas ("stupid daylight savings") is perfectly
civilized behavior.  And in this case at least, the label is
well-deserved, since I see no way of increasing the amount of daylight
short of making the earth rotate at a variable rate, or bringing the
sun closer, both options being beyond the current state of technology.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi