[comp.os.vms] an interesting problem I have....

gjwelych@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU ("Welych, Gregory J.") (12/07/87)

Hi all,
I have a problem with VAX mail.....
It seems that every time I login, it tells me I have one new mail message,
but when I get into mail, and type dir, it gives me the directory of my
main folder. This seems to have been caused by my compressing the main
mail file down when I received a mail message. Can someone tell me how to
get rid of that outstanding mail message????
I've already tried to compress it down again, but it still hasn't gone
away.   HELP!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Greg Welych.

GJWELYCH@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU
GJWELYCH@AMAX.NPAC.SYR.EDU
GJWELYCH@CM1.NPAC.SYR.EDU
OR
GJWELYCH@SUNRISE  <----  NOTE: it's a BITNET address.

------

rk5y@vax1.UUCP ( ) (12/07/87)

In article <8712070024.AA10098@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "Welych, Gregory J." <gjwelych@sunrise.acs.syr.edu> writes:
>I have a problem with VAX mail.....
>It seems that every time I login, it tells me I have one new mail message,
>but when I get into mail, and type dir, it gives me the directory of my
>main folder. This seems to have been caused by my compressing the main

Try the following:
Get into mail, then type read/new, the prob. will gone.

Good luck.

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (12/07/87)

In article <8712070024.AA10098@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, gjwelych@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU ("Welych, Gregory J.") writes:
> It seems that every time I login, it tells me I have one new mail message,
> but when I get into mail, and type dir, it gives me the directory of my
> main folder. This seems to have been caused by my compressing the main

Here at BSU we have several thousand students making nearly constant use of
Mail, so I've seen this problem a couple hundred times.  I'll post here rather
than E-mail so that everyone elsewhere who's got the same thing can see it if
they'd like.

Your problem can be caused by several different actions, including reading the
NEWMAIL folder from another account having access to your Mail file(s) and
MOVE-ing messages out of the NEWMAIL folder.  Basically, the "new message
count" gets out of synch with what's actually in your mail.

The fix is simple:

   Read any and all new messages that may actually be present.

   Give the command READ/NEW at the MAIL> prompt.

... that should make Mail take another look, readjust its counter, and your
problem is solved!

Chris Chiesa

   ..!rutgets!iuvax!bsu-cs!cfchiesa