[comp.os.vms] Are VMS and VAX synonymous?

smith%eri.DECnet@MGHCCC.HARVARD.EDU ("ERI::SMITH") (12/11/87)

I have personally been irritated by Digital's tendency to consider "PDP-11"
and "RSX" synonymous.  At one time, they were officially supporting...
hmmm, lemme see... RT-11, RSTS, RSX, IAS, Mumps, I think "DOS" was still
on the price list, I think there was a version of UNIX (Ultrix-11?),
perhaps MicroPower/Pascal is an operating system.

In the VMS world, however, there are justifications other than chauvinism
for forgetting that VMS and VAX are NOT synonymous.  When the VAX was
introduced, part of the product concept was that the there WOULD be only
one operating system and that VAX and VMS WOULD be synonymous.  And that
was true for quite some time.  The addition of Ultrix and VAXELN is fairly
recent.  Certainly Digital's resistance to the RT-32 concept is based on
the idea that VAX and VMS damn well OUGHT to be synonymous.

Personally, I happen to believe that hardware and operating-system software
SHOULD be designed together and supplied by one vendor as part of a closely
integrated, coherent whole; the operating system is part of the computer,
not a mix'n'match modular tack-on. (The UNIX viewpoint presumably is that
the operating system is too important to be left to the hardware vendors,
that the hardware is a RELATIVELY unimportant part of the overall system,
and that a coherent philosophy ACROSS systems is more important than a
coherent philosophy within any one system).

Someone who thinks RSX and PDP-11 are synonymous, or MS-DOS and IBM PC are
synonymous, is expressing a chauvinistic viewpoint which is supported by
marketplace domination.  But someone who thinks VAX and VMS are synonymous
MAY POSSIBLY also be expressing a philosophical stance.
Daniel P. B. Smith         ARPA: smith%eri.decnet@mghccc.harvard.edu
Eye Research Institute     CompuServe: 74706,661
20 Staniford Street        Telephone (voice): 617 742-3140
Boston, MA 02114
"We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to
Texas; but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing important to
communicate."--Thoreau
------

jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (12/13/87)

In article <8712111910.AA18210@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "ERI::SMITH" <smith%eri.decnet@mghccc.harvard.edu> writes:
>But someone who thinks VAX and VMS are synonymous
>MAY POSSIBLY also be expressing a philosophical stance.

The only thing you can do between "#ifdef vax" and its corresponding "#endif"
is conclude that you are running on a big-endian machine ....

--
Johan Vromans                              | jv@mh.nl via European backbone
Multihouse N.V., Gouda, the Netherlands    | uucp: ..{uunet!}mcvax!mh.nl!jv