[comp.os.vms] Autologins

IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET (12/10/87)

Actually, I'd like to see the autologin concept elaborated somewhat.  What
I'd like to have is a way to have autologin be *completely* automatic, skipping
the password.  It would be nice if there were also a UAF flag that would
prevent non-auto logins.  What I want is to fix up our operator account
so that it is automatically logged in at boot time on our operator terminals,
which are all contained in a secure area.  I've tried half a dozen ways
to do this but none has worked yet.

Maybe this concept needs to be still further generalized:  a file that
associates various login properties of certain usernames with certain
terminals, so that (for example) you could restrict the SYSTEM user to the
console, or certain LAT ports, or what have you.  Autologin would become
one of these properties, and password-needed another.  Any thoughts?

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) (12/11/87)

 > Actually, I'd like to see the autologin concept elaborated somewhat.  What
 > I'd like to have is a way to have autologin be *completely* automatic, skipping
 > the password.  It would be nice if there were also a UAF flag that would
 > prevent non-auto logins.  What I want is to fix up our operator account
 > so that it is automatically logged in at boot time on our operator terminals,
 > which are all contained in a secure area.  I've tried half a dozen ways
 > to do this but none has worked yet.

You can do this by using the RUN/UIC command (with lots of other qualifiers to
get  various  quotas right) in your SYSTARTUP.COM.  The only problem with this
is that since this process  won't  count  be  considered  interactive  by  the
system,  the top-level process won't have command-line recall.  Alternatively,
you can experiment with the various items that DEC explicitly doesn't document
in  the  $CREPRC system service until you find the combination that creates an
interactive process.

 > Maybe this concept needs to be still further generalized:  a file that
 > associates various login properties of certain usernames with certain
 > terminals, so that (for example) you could restrict the SYSTEM user to the
 > console, or certain LAT ports, or what have you.  Autologin would become
 > one of these properties, and password-needed another.  Any thoughts?

There is already a file to do this sort  of  thing,  viz.   SYS$SYLOGIN:.   It
doesn't  allow you to do exactly what you want, but you can come pretty close.
For example, you can set up two  accounts  with  the  same  UIC,  one  with  a
password,  one  without.   Use SYS$SYLOGIN:  to restrict logins of the account
without a password to certain terminals.  Note:  for this to be effective, you
must disable control-y in the UAF for the accounts without passwords, then set
control-y somewhere either in SYS$SYLOGIN:  or in the account's LOGIN.COM.

helen@uhccux.UUCP (Helen Rapozo) (12/12/87)

In article <8712110349.AA01806@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET writes:
>Maybe this concept needs to be still further generalized:  a file that
>associates various login properties of certain usernames with certain
>terminals, so that (for example) you could restrict the SYSTEM user to the
>console, or certain LAT ports, or what have you.  Autologin would become
>one of these properties, and password-needed another.  Any thoughts?

For the SYSTEM account you can just disuser it and after that it
can only log on the operator's console.

dirk@mvax.dn.mu.oz (Dirk van der Knijff) (12/14/87)

We have our consoles set up for autologin with no password using
alfmaint as supplied by dec and using authorize to set the flags
to disuser (absolutely necessary for security) and the password
to nothing. i.e.
    mod operator/flags=disuser/password=""
Note: not /nopass

		Dirk van der Knijff
		Systems Programmer.
		Melbourne College of Advanced Education

M   M   CCC     A    EEEEE	ACSnet:	  dirk@mvax.dn.mu
MM MM  C   C   A A   E		Austpac:  PSI%233430003::MVAX::DIRK
M M M  C      A   A  EEE	ARPAnet:  dirk%mvax.dn.mu.oz.au@seismo.css.gov
M   M  C   C  AAAAA  E		UUCP:	  ...!seismo!munnari!mvax.dn.mu!dirk
M   M   CCC   A   A  EEEEE	Mail:	  757 Swanston St., CARLTON 3053, Vic.

	'this space reserved for a smart comment'

NEWCOMER@DICKINSN.BITNET ("Newcomer, Don") (12/14/87)

The auto-login facility seems to be just what you have in mind.  Use
SYS$SYSTEM:ALFMAINT.COM to assign a specific terminal to a username.  Then,
just pressing RETURN logs the terminal into the assigned username.

                                        Don Newcomer
                                        NEWCOMER@DICKINSN.BITNET