[comp.os.vms] an interesting [MAIL] problem I have....

LEICHTER@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("Jerry Leichter ", LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU) (12/07/87)

	I have a problem with VAX mail.....  It seems that every time I login,
	it tells me I have one new mail message, but when I get into mail, and
	type dir, it gives me the directory of my main folder. This seems to
	have been caused by my compressing the main mail file down when I
	received a mail message. Can someone tell me how to get rid of that
	outstanding mail message????  I've already tried to compress it down
	again, but it still hasn't gone away.

This is one of the most commonly-asked VMS questions, by beginners and expe-
rienced users alike.  While the answer IS in the MAIL documentation, it is
almost never noticed - partly because, it seems, MAIL is easy enough to use
that hardly anyone ever bothers to READ the documentation!

Anyhow:  Go into MAIL and type READ/NEW.  If you've actually got some new
mail, read it; when you've read it all, type READ/NEW again.  When READ/NEW
reports "No new messages", it also resets the new mail message counter to 0.

Note that there are several ways to get the new mail message counter out of
sync with the actual new messages.  The two most common are system crashes
and restoring the system disk from a backup (often related, of course).  I
don't think compressing your mail file will do this, but there could be some
odd timing window involved.
							-- Jerry

tedcrane@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ted Crane) (12/09/87)

By now, several people must have offered the solution to this problem
(new mail counter and contents of NEWMAIL folder out of synch).
READ/NEW is documented, but the situation is so silly that no matter
how many times I hear the problem, I've never felt the need to point
the user at the manual.

On the other hand, here is a suggestion which will help avoid the problem:

In MAIL, the keypad-MINUS key is defined as "READ/NEW" by default.  So,
why not use DCL to define the same key as "MAIL"?  Then, to enter MAIL
and read new mail, just hit the keypad-MINUS twice in a row.  As a side
effect, the new mail counter will be brought back into synch with the actual
NEWMAIL folder contents!  For the lazy, here's the DCL command:

	$ define/key -
		/nolog -
		/if_state=DEFAULT -
		/echo/terminate -
		MINUS -
		"mail"
(This presumes various default settings of DCL and your terminal, adapt as
necessary).

- ted crane, alias (tc)
tedcrane@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                       BITNET: tedcrane@CRNLTHRY
{decvax!ucbvax}!tcgould.tn.cornell.edu!tedcrane             DECnet: GOPHER::THC
                                                                 (607) 273-8768

jrozbori@udenva.cair.du.edu (Jim Rozboril) (12/12/87)

In article <3123@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> tedcrane@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Ted Crane) writes:
>By now, several people must have offered the solution to this problem
>(new mail counter and contents of NEWMAIL folder out of synch).
>READ/NEW is documented, but the situation is so silly that no matter
>how many times I hear the problem, I've never felt the need to point
>the user at the manual.

Hey folks, I tried read/new and it didn't work.  Any other suggestions?

roz

kennedy@asuvax.UUCP (Ralph Kennedy) (12/15/87)

In article <9587@udenva.cair.du.edu>, jrozbori@udenva.cair.du.edu (Jim Rozboril) writes:
> In article <3123@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> tedcrane@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Ted Crane) writes:
> >By now, several people must have offered the solution to this problem
> >(new mail counter and contents of NEWMAIL folder out of synch).
> >READ/NEW is documented, but the situation is so silly that no matter
> >how many times I hear the problem, I've never felt the need to point
> >the user at the manual.
> >
> Hey folks, I tried read/new and it didn't work.  Any other suggestions?
>
> roz

     Individual users can use read/new to fix the problem, but it is
tricky.  I believe you have to first send yourself a dummy letter, then
enter mail and hit <CR> to read it, then say read/new.  It's been awhile
since I've had to do this, but I remember that the dummy letter is
necessary.

     From a sysadmin point of view, the problem can be fixed by running
sys$examples:mailuaf.com and entering REMOVE <username> and ADD <username>.

Ralph Kennedy				uucp: ...ihnp4!mot!asuvax!kennedy
Engineering Comp. Serv.		       csnet: kennedy@asu.CSNET
Arizona St. Univ.
Tempe, AZ  85287

tedcrane@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ted Crane) (12/16/87)

In article <9587@udenva.cair.du.edu> jrozbori@udenva.UUCP (Jim Rozboril) writes:
>>By now, several people must have offered the solution to this problem
>>(new mail counter and contents of NEWMAIL folder out of synch).
>>READ/NEW is documented, ...
>>
>Hey folks, I tried read/new and it didn't work.  Any other suggestions?
>
>roz

It hasn't failed me yet.  Of course, if you READ/NEW and there is new mail
waiting to be read, it will read the new mail and NOT reset the counter.
You have to continue using READ/NEW until there is not more new mail and
you get the message
	No more Mail