[comp.os.vms] LAVCs, lgicmd, sylogin, and login

tvc%utcsr.DECnet@CHPC.BRC.UTEXAS.EDU ("UTCSR::TVC") (12/14/87)

GIVEN: 1 LAVC (8200=boot node, 2 VAX Station 2000s as satellites)
	RUNNING VMS V4.6.

PROBLEM: WANT TO HAVE BOTH SYLOGIN.COM AND USER'S LOGIN.COM TO EXECUTE
	 WHEN USER LOGS IN.  LEAVING LGICMD="" ONLY EXECUTES USER'S
	 LOGIN.COM AND NOT SYLOGIN.COM, LGICMD=SYS$SYLOGIN AND SYLOGIN.COM
	 GETS EXECUTED TWICE.  IF SYLOGIN.COM DOESN'T CHECK FOR AND
	 EXECUTE USER'S LOGIN.COM, USER'S LOGIN.COM DOESN'T GET EXECUTED.

SOLUTION: ?

				TVC%UTCSR.DECNET@CHPC.BRC.UTEXAS.EDU
			 	SYSTEM MANAGER
				UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS
				AEROSPACE ENGINEERING DEPT.
				CENTER FOR SPACE RESEARCH
			TEXNET: UTCSR::TVC
------

klb@philabs.Philips.Com (Ken Bourque) (12/16/87)

>PROBLEM: WANT TO HAVE BOTH SYLOGIN.COM AND USER'S LOGIN.COM TO EXECUTE
>	 WHEN USER LOGS IN.

Something is bollixed.  LGICMD should be blank.  LOGIN.COM must be in
the user's default directory as specified in the UAF, and the default directory
and LOGIN.COM must be readable by the user.  SYS$SYLOGIN must be defined in the
system logical name table, in executive mode, i.e.

$ define/sys/exec  sys$sylogin  sys$manager:sylogin.com

Finally, SYLOGIN should be world-readable (protection = W:RE).

--
Ken Bourque    klb@philabs.philips.com    ...!{uunet,ihnp4,decvax}!philabs!klb

gil@icus.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (12/16/87)

In article <8712150934.AA04182@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "UTCSR::TVC" <tvc%utcsr.decnet@chpc.brc.utexas.edu> writes:
>GIVEN: 1 LAVC (8200=boot node, 2 VAX Station 2000s as satellites)
>	RUNNING VMS V4.6.
>
>PROBLEM: WANT TO HAVE BOTH SYLOGIN.COM AND USER'S LOGIN.COM TO EXECUTE
>	 WHEN USER LOGS IN.  LEAVING LGICMD="" ONLY EXECUTES USER'S
>	 LOGIN.COM AND NOT SYLOGIN.COM, LGICMD=SYS$SYLOGIN AND SYLOGIN.COM
>	 GETS EXECUTED TWICE.  IF SYLOGIN.COM DOESN'T CHECK FOR AND
>	 EXECUTE USER'S LOGIN.COM, USER'S LOGIN.COM DOESN'T GET EXECUTED.
>
>SOLUTION: ?
>
>				TVC%UTCSR.DECNET@CHPC.BRC.UTEXAS.EDU
>			 	SYSTEM MANAGER
>				UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS
>				AEROSPACE ENGINEERING DEPT.
>				CENTER FOR SPACE RESEARCH
>			TEXNET: UTCSR::TVC
>------

Try the following:  First, make LGICMD in AUTHORIZE as file NL:, or the
null device.  Also make sure that on each of the three systems (the boot
node and 2 satellites) that SYS$SYLOGIN is DEFINEd as /EXEC/SYSTEM to
a file that the system can access BEFORE any logicals are defined by the
user's LOGIN.COM (often this is the problem).  If you have all that done,
then the system login command file should execute when I user logs in.

When you use this method, the last statement should check for a LOGIN.COM
in the user's LOGIN directory, and execute it .. like this:

		$ IF F$SEARCH("SYS$LOGIN:LOGIN.COM") .NES. "" THEN -
			@SYS$LOGIN:LOGIN.COM

Also note that the system login command file should be in SYS$COMMON on LAVC
systems.  The manual for the LAVC software has a lot of good hints about
setting up the SYSTARTUP files.  Keep this in mind.

Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                               ...ihnp4!icus!gil
Senior Programmer                                (or whatever path works best
Bowne Management Systems, Inc.                    on the day you reply!)
Mineola, NY    (516) 248-6840   ext 796