[comp.os.vms] operating systems written in FORTRAN

gkn@M5.SDSC.EDU (Gerard K. Newman) (12/24/87)

>From:	 zhao@csd4.milw.wisc.edu  (T.C. Zhao)
>Subject: Re: Does FORTRAN live? (Was: Re: Are VMS and VAX synonymous (Was: Re: VMS games))
>Date:	 22 Dec 87 18:39:13 GMT
>
>I can't agree more. I believe CTSS on Cray was written mostly in Fortran.

This is true, speaking from first-hand experience.  We have a Cray X-MP/48
and an SCS-40 both running CTSS, and it is written mostly in a dialect of
FORTRAN called LRLTRAN.  LRLTRAN, like CTSS, was developed at Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory about 15 years ago.

I can't blame LRLTRAN for the shortcommings of CTSS.

gkn
Internet: GKN@SDS.SDSC.EDU
Bitnet:   GKN@SDSC
Span:	  SDSC::GKN (27.1)