[comp.os.vms] Permanent DECNET servers.

MRL@PFC-VAX.MIT.EDU (12/25/87)

The following may be documented or mentioned elsewhere, but I've never known
about it.  If you properly define a logical name, one can create permanent
decnet servers for a specific user.  By setting NETSERVER$SERVERS_username to
the number of desired permanent servers, when a server is created by a DECNET
operation, and the permanent server limit has not been reached, it will become
permanent.  This is done within NETSERVER.COM by setting the server timeout
value to 9999 days.  One reason I wanted this capability was that I was looking
for a way to speed up the time it takes to send mail over DECNET.  By having
one permanent server owned by the DECNET account, sending mail to this node
would be made quicker, by avoiding the time it takes to create a new process.
Thus, I did:

      DEFINE/SYSTEM NETSERVER$SERVERS_DECNET 1

And it does indeed create a server that does not timeout.  Of course, a server
can only handle one connection at a time.  If it is busy, a second server must
be created, so it doesn't work 100% of the time, but it still helps alot.  (I
don't have gobs of memory, else I'd create several permanent servers).

pete@tsc.DEC.COM (Pete Schmitt) (12/26/87)

In article <8712242343.AA14339@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, MRL@PFC-VAX.MIT.EDU writes:
> The following may be documented or mentioned elsewhere, but I've never known
> about it.  If you properly define a logical name, one can create permanent
> decnet servers for a specific user.  By setting NETSERVER$SERVERS_username to
> the number of desired permanent servers, when a server is created by a DECNET
> operation, and the permanent server limit has not been reached, it will become
> permanent.

Yes, this is documented in the VMS 4.0 release notes.

--
            \\\!///		From: Pete Schmitt
             _   _ 		UUCP: ihnp4!tsc!pete